Pineshavings for chicks?

Pine shavings are safe. If they’re day olds you can keep them on paper towels for a day or two so they can distinguish what their food is and not try and eat the shavings as much. Id give them grit so they can break down any shavings they do attempt to eat. I actually like to use hemp shavings for chicks though! It was less dusty and not smelly.

Pine shavings are safe. If they’re day olds you can keep them on paper towels for a day or two so they can distinguish what their food is and not try and eat the shavings as much. Id give them grit so they can break down any shavings they do attempt to eat. I actually like to use hemp shavings for chicks though! It was less dusty and not smelly.
I agree. Hemp bedding is a bit more expensive, but it lasts wayyy longer and helps reduce smell as well

Chicks are goofy and will try eating everything including pine shavings but in general they are safe. I've used everything including old T-shirts. It winds up being a combination of Tshirts and paper towels at first as I put old Tshirts under MHP or Plate, then pine shavings, hemp and flock flesh after a few days.

Straw is better. Pine shavings has alot more dust. The same dust that covers everything in the same area as the brooder is the same dust the chicks are constantly breathing in. No I don't think itssafe.

Straw is better. Pine shavings has alot more dust. The same dust that covers everything in the same area as the brooder is the same dust the chicks are constantly breathing in. No I don't think itssafe.
I agree that it can be dusty, but it's never caused problems for me

Back
Top Bottom