Pink Faced Hen

Tuki808

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2022
I have a hen named Coretta that is 2 years old that lives in the house and she has always had a light pink face no matter the season. She does have mites but with only a very small amount, I bathe her and the roosters every 2 to 3 weeks and use Diatomaceous Earth to keep the mites that have fallen from their bodies away. But she's always had a pink face from very young and way before she got mites. I've been searching up why hen has a pink face but it's always the same result. But when she goes outside for a few hours, she comes back with a red face but when she comes back in, her face slowly goes back to pink. I don't know if there's something wrong or if that's just how her skin is. Someone, please give me some sort of idea on what with my hen.

Do you have pics?

Also, DE won't treat mites. You will need to get more aggressive. Dusting or spraying your birds with permethrin will work. You will also need to clean and spray down with permethrin whatever bedding/housing she uses.

That said, face/comb/wattle color can fluctuate due to temperature, activity level, and hormones. If it's been pink for years, it's probably nothing to be too concerned about.

But I'd get serious about the mites before her infestation becomes worse.

Totally normal. I have hens that their face turns red when i hold them, and then goes back to pale immediately when i put them down. It's love and happiness. Red is a healthier color, but doesnt have to be red all the time. Sometimes hens turn pale or white for even the most minor reasons, but as long as it is pink or red its normal to fluctuate.

Last edited:
Do you have pics?

Also, DE won't treat mites. You will need to get more aggressive. Dusting or spraying your birds with permethrin will work. You will also need to clean and spray down with permethrin whatever bedding/housing she uses.

That said, face/comb/wattle color can fluctuate due to temperature, activity level, and hormones. If it's been pink for years, it's probably nothing to be too concerned about.

But I'd get serious about the mites before her infestation becomes worse.
Thank you so much for your help Angus and yes I do have picture of her but right now my phone isn't working, but when I get a new one I will post a photo of her when I get the chance to get a even better result.

Try something other than diatomaceous earth for mites. Really doesn't work that well. I used to buy .. I don't have chickens now...stuff from the pet store. It's for home caged birds, but works like no other on chickens! I sprayed on the bottom, the neck, under wings, back...just a quick spray did the trick. Doesn't hurt the chicken at all. The spray says for canaries I believe. I'll find a photo. She would love to be rid of mites.

Thank you so much for your help Angus and yes I do have picture of her but right now my phone isn't working, but when I get a new one I will post a photo of her when I get the chance to get a even better result.
Sorry but can I get a picture of what permethrin you use for you chickens so I know which one to get?

Try something other than diatomaceous earth for mites. Really doesn't work that well. I used to buy .. I don't have chickens now...stuff from the pet store. It's for home caged birds, but works like no other on chickens! I sprayed on the bottom, the neck, under wings, back...just a quick spray did the trick. Doesn't hurt the chicken at all. The spray says for canaries I believe. I'll find a photo. She would love to be rid of mites.
Thank you Cynthia12!

Back
Top Bottom