Pink grow lights to keep button quail laying?

little-beep

Songster
Jan 9, 2022
The lass who gave me my last batch of eggs says she uses pink grow lights to keep her button quail girls laying thru the winter.

Since I'm picking up a laying female to bond with my little boy, I went ahead and ordered some of the lights.

Does anyone have experience with grow lights helping quails lay? .. Opinions welcome. I'm still new to most of this.

The pink (burple) lighting is supposed to be the photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) zone of 400 to 700 nm. Full solar radiation is 300 to 3000 nm. I don't know which part of the spectrum the birds respond to but maybe that's in the science literature somewhere.

My understanding that by not allowing your birds to take a break from laying you burn them out and shorten their lifespan significantly. There is difference between having pets with names and having an egg business and no one can decide which is right for you. Best of luck!

My understanding that by not allowing your birds to take a break from laying you burn them out and shorten their lifespan significantly. There is difference between having pets with names and having an egg business and no one can decide which is right for you. Best of luck!
One can do both. Just because I have the lights doesn't mean they'll be used 'all' the time.

One can do both. Just because I have the lights doesn't mean they'll be used 'all' the time.
Exactly, and just because you don’t use lights, it doesn’t mean they will live any longer. Quail are small prey animals and succumb to any number of other causes. My quail love their lights, in the winter my lights give off some minor heat and they all gather near them, in the spring and fall, the birds gather by the lights at dusk, waiting for them to come on and attract bugs, then they all gobble up the insects attracted to the lights. My oldest hen, who had always been provided lighting, just passed recently from an injury, she was nearly 2, and had brooded and raised her own clutch last summer. She was laying daily and was in excellent health, no sign that 2 years of laying had weakened her. I think a lot of people say don’t light them for their health and longevity, then they feed them the cheapest crappiest feed they can get to save money. Feed quality and housing conditions will impact long term health more strongly than laying habits in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom