Pink waddles and combs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Queenelizzy, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Queenelizzy

Queenelizzy Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2009
    Someone gave me some chickens and their waddles and combs are pink, not red. What is this a deficiency of?

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    How old are they, and what breeds? It may not be a deficiency at all - they may not yet be at point of lay, or they may be molting. What are you feeding them?

3. Queenelizzy

Queenelizzy Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2009
    They are several years old and a mix of breeds...they are also missing lots of tail feathers but I thought that maybe they were in a small space before...other wise..they are fully feathered. I feed them scratch, layena, some ground corn and soybeans from a local mill and lots of kitchen scraps and they are welcome to fee range tho there is not much to find these days.

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    They may be a little past their reproductive (egg-laying) prime, and that may account for the faded "pink" combs and waddles. But if they are losing feathers, they may be starting to molt. Is there a rooster in with them? You're right about picking each others feathers out if they were kept in a small space before. It sounds like you're taking care of them beautifully - I wouldn't worry if they seem healthy and happy. Be sure you don't overdo the scratch and treats - chickens will eat that instead of the balanced Layena and if so, may not get optimum nutrition. Good luck and congratulations on your Chicken gift!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by