Pinless peepers for bantams?

Chiggums

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2022
Are there pinless peepers for bantam chickens?

I have a flock of 5 hens that are all about 7 months old now and have been together since about 2 months of age. One of the hens, a mille fleur d'uccle is constantly chasing my submissive silkie. I've tried adding more clutter to the run for distraction and even putting the bully in "jail" for a few days, and when she came out her behavior just seemed to be even worse. Before giving up and rehoming her, I want to try pinless peepers but the prongs look way too big for her nostrils. Any suggestions?

Try them. If they fall off, you'll know it won't work. I've used these devices off and on for many years. They may work. They may not work to curb the bad behavior. Also, they shouldn't be left on the chicken for more than just a few months as they can irritate and inflame the nares. I had a Cream Legbar that developed scar tissue inside one nare and it closed up.

But your problem is with the Silkie. They often have problems fitting into a standard flock due to their small size and mild temperament, making it difficult for them to stand up for themselves. For smaller breeds to be able to handle life in a standard flock, they need to be feisty and on the aggressive side. I have two diminutive Sicilian Buttercups that are ornery little Ferraris and the larger chickens are constantly stepping out of their way. Silkies usually don't behave like ornery little Ferrari sport cars.

Funny enough it's primarily a bantam flock with only one standard size hen, who's a sweet Ameraucana. The only issue is with the d'uccle, who's the smallest one but the only bully.

For the peepers, I'm concerned about the prongs being too big to fit into her nares at all. It looks like may have to rehome her :(

Back
Top Bottom