Pinless peepers

Remember, if they don't work out, you can remove the peepers easily, they aren't permanent. But be aware that it takes 2 people to put them on, one to hold the bird, and one to insert the little nubs into the nostrils. If you soak the peepr in very hot water, it will soften it so it's easier to bend. You don't need a tool. Practice bending it first, so you become adept at manipulating it. It might help to find a youtube how-to video.
peepers.jpg

I used them on a bully hen of mine & she was pretty good with them on, she was only able to peck the others, she wasn't able to pin them down & beat them. She still guarded the roost & wouldn't let the littles up there, she would walk from one end of the roost to the other & peck anyone near her on the top or bottom roost, I installed a 3rd one. She also wasn't able to use my nipple waterers - that may not be an issue for you. I didn't have them on her for long (a week or 2?) as I was going away for the weekend & had to take them off so she could drink from the waterers & she immediately pinned down a little, beat on her & drew blood while the little was trying to lay.

I don't think they're cruel but it would be a last resort for me & I wasn't planning on them being permanent, I was hoping she would reform ( :gig ). She was initially disoriented & wouldn't walk at all except backwards for about an hour. She eventually figured out scratching & pecking around, roosting & her food, but never could get the nipples.

Right now my bully is separated & will be culled for the peace of the flock.

The situation involves two pullets- one is the aggressor. The other will try running away from the attack or once in a while will defend herself by striking back.
The two hens stand next to eachother and look at eachother from the corner of their eyes, heads bowed a little. They will stay still like that for sometimes up to 30 seconds. Then one of two things happen: the aggressor pecks harshly at the neck of the other pullet OR the other pullet tries walking away and the aggressor follows it and pecks it.
Hate to say it...this sounds pretty normal. You have 2 that are eyeballing one another and heads bowed - they are challenging each other, a staring match, battle of wills, settling of the pecking order whatever you want to call it. One finally takes charge, the other relents - the take charge gives another peck for good measure.

If they are just pecking one another and no blood is being drawn, I would let it play out. They are only 10 weeks old they are establishing themselves within the flock.

Last edited:
Hate to say it...this sounds pretty normal. You have 2 that are eyeballing one and heads bowed - they are challenging each other, a staring match, battle of wills, settling of the pecking order whatever you want to call it. One finally takes charge, the other relents - the take charge gives another peck for good measure.

If they are just pecking one another and no blood is being drawn, I would let it play out. They are only 10 weeks old they are establishing themselves within the flock.
Thank you for your thorough response. Glad to hear that it is probably nothing to worry about. It's very interesting to watch! It seems like every few days the hierarchy has been changing with the only constant being my gray EE- she has been and continues to be the top bird in the pack. Very calm and kind to the others but she decides what they do, where they go, when they do it, etc. The others all try to work their way up the ladder I guess. As long as no blood is drawn I am comfortable observing and letting it play out.

Thank you for your thorough response. Glad to hear that it is probably nothing to worry about. It's very interesting to watch! It seems like every few days the hierarchy has been changing with the only constant being my gray EE- she has been and continues to be the top bird in the pack. Very calm and kind to the others but she decides what they do, where they go, when they do it, etc. The others all try to work their way up the ladder I guess. As long as no blood is drawn I am comfortable observing and letting it play out.
The "pecking order" sort of ebbs and flows. Generally you do have 1 that is the head or leader while the others squabble around. Things will settle down, then likely start back up once they get closer to laying eggs (you have more to look forward to! LOL)
There is going to be one (or two) that are going to be at the "bottom". It's just the way it is it seems. I don't necessarily dismiss it - but there's one that gets last dibs on treats, she may get pecked more often, her dust bathing spot is taken, etc. I watch close to make sure no one is hurting the lowest bird, that she's in good condition, is eating/drinking well, etc. I rarely intervene with squabbling and let them work it out.
I do provide multiple feed stations and a couple of water stations too - just to ensure no one is cornering the market on food/water.

This is not really to advocate for a rooster - but I have less squabbling when I keep a rooster with my laying hens. This would be a mature rooster (1+yr old) - not a cockerel. I've had not so good roosters too, so you have to recognize that aspect as well. The one I currently have in there is pretty good, he's fair, but he doesn't put up with much nonsense at all.

The "pecking order" sort of ebbs and flows. Generally you do have 1 that is the head or leader while the others squabble around... but there's one that gets last dibs on treats, she may get pecked more often, her dust bathing spot is taken...
I do provide multiple feed stations and a couple of water stations
I got so irked by the squabbling that I started splitting the treats into multiple bowls.

Instead of 1 big bowl I got 2.

Then 3.

Then 4.

I am now at 5 bowls :rolleyes: (that is a LOT of dishes to wash!)

and do they stop fighting ? kind of.

If I put them far enough apart they spend so much time and energy running from one bowl to another to see if the 'other' bowl is better than the one they are at, that fighting is super complicated.

I'll let you in on the secret they can't seem to figure out: it is the SAME stuff in each bowl, but bless them, they are convinced the 'next' bowl is the best one that they keep running the circuit.

:wee

Back
Top Bottom