Pip close to pointy end day 19

Poor chick died some time this morning. I tried to save it. One of my two older chicks was a wrong end pipper and an assisted hatch. She survived but I was faster to react. This chick I tried to let it go on its own and probably waited too long as by the sticky head and wing, it was like the poor chick had been glued. Instead of a trap door pip it actually pipped a hole, I'm thinking that's when the sticky came in. I am happy that two hatched on their own hopefully maybe a couple more will hatch today. I can only have five hens here, so hopefully they're all girls! ;-0

Last edited:
@Yorkshire coop
Thank you! That's a downfall of hatching but the joy of watching a successful hatch and raising your own chicks makes it all rewarding.
:hugs

And another pipped at pointy end, this one zipped a bit but there is not a gaping hole like the first. A couple of the other eggs are rocking too! :)

Yes I'm kind of frozen really, stayed up way too late watching the chicks hatch. Fighting the incubator to stay at a stable temperature, which could be a source of some of this problem. I'm trying the tube method as I really do not want to assist. This one pipped and zipped about an eigth inch but the membrane is still over it, which is better than the last who made a snall round hole through everything. The two chicks are good almost dry and having fun bowling the other eggs around.

Last edited:

In the brooder now, this makes it all worth it! Other eggs are rocking still so maybe we'll have a couple more.

Last edited:
Another hatched and I assisted the other pointy pipper, the membranes were dried out. Up flipping around drying in the incubator and very vocal.

Peeping and resting, slowly pulled more shell and membrane off and got a better look, feet are pushed up against up air cell. Found blood around side of head so stopped, not seeing any yolk left either. Waiting, watching and hoping the other seven chicks are not in this position.

My advice is leave it alone. To many are all for wanting to help it and opening the incubator to help one and then risk things happening to all others. Opening your incubator makes the exposed membranes stick to the chick. If it had issues then thats nature, but let nature rake its course and leave them alone. Read the Texas A& M university posting on hatching.

It is good to wait till the others have hatched before you go intervening. But if you have one that's been pipped for days in an odd place and the others have hatched it's worth a try to save it. These styrobators have a tendency to heat spike and chicks growing too big to hatch properly on their own. The boy in my case was huge and turned into a beautiful healthy bird. I hatched eggs he sired under a broody hen and they hatched perfectly!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom