Pip on day 25....

I probably would have helped it at that point or at least breached the membrane so that it could get oxygen.

It tears easily...I pinch a piece in my fingernails and tear it. I had two the other day that needed that much help...I could see the beak so I tore a bigger hole where the beak tip was. Then I left it alone for some hours. Later on they needed more help so I popped the top of the egg off, and the outer membrane and peeled a little of the inner membrane where it looked stuck...then left them alone for another couple hours with the heads sticking out. Sooner or later they pushed out and everything turned out OK. They are almost two days old.

It looks like it was still connected to the egg so I am pretty confident earlier intervention wouldn't have saved the poor little guy which makes me feel a little better about not helping sooner but still upset that it didn't make it. I have two that have pipped but no progress for about 20 hours....should I take a piece of shell off?

I don't know. I operate mostly on blind guessing, instinct, and 'feelings'....
It seems to me if there is a pip then it does no harm to make an opening in the outer membrane big enough for air to get in if it has been 'long enough'....
I tend to open it up when I see the beak. and I try to look if they are stuck in the inner membrane. Sometimes I open that up a little. If there is any blood, I stop.
There is so much that can go wrong messing with them that I wait. It is not unheard of to get a pip and see no more action for two days.
Half of the folks say to leave them be, and half say to help and I'm on both sides.
I suspect they are a lot like human babies and that you never know for sure how long it takes for it to be 'done'.

Quote:
Yesterday and today I had some pip and zip in 15 minutes and a couple that went close to 30 hours. I'd wait a bit more. I know it's hard to decide what to do so it is up to you, but if it was me I'd wait. Seems like when I do intervene, things don't go so well. As long as I can see them moving, breathing or chirping through the pip hole I'd leave them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom