Pipd's Peeps!

I used all the colors without an issue. There are so few colors, however, that I did stack some to tell them apart. Like I'd use singles, then if I needed more, I'd do 2 different colors together like purple and yellow. Or red and green. That way it was easier to see at a glance than double of the same color.

I didn't like the way the guy in the video handled that back toe. I put all the toes, including the back, into the opening then slipped it over.

If you use them, be sure to keep your eye on them and change them before they become snug. No matter what they say, any kind of band will make a ridge in the leg when it becomes snug. I like mine to be somewhat loose.

When I removed them from tiny legs, I took a little nail scissors and snipped them. I think it is too much pulling on those tiny legs to just pull them off. When they are older you can pull them, but I still prefer to snip.

Okay, thanks! The snugness and when to change them would have been my next question. :) Even those rainbow loom bands started to leave indents when I left them on too long, and those are very stretchy. I also don't like that they quickly outgrow them, so I have to move them to their wings, where it's hard to see them past all the feathering. :barnie These sound like a much better option.

It looks like it's only $25 including shipping to get three packs of them from Foy's. Any thoughts on sizing before I finalize and order them? I think 4.5mm is small enough for the OEGB babies while not being too small for larger babies when first hatched. I also want to get the 6 or 7mm for when they outgrow the 4.5s, and the 9mm for any chicks that are hard to tell apart a bit later, like that stage that Kita and Myrna went through. Sound about right?

I was looking at my old invoices to try to figure out what I ordered for new-hatch (not bantam) chicks. From what I'm seeing, it looks like I got size 6. For some reason I can't find my tiny ones.

I know I also got 7 and 9 for growth.

I have a message in to Foy to see what size they recommend for which birds. But you might want to email them ([email protected]) and let them know the breed and see what they recommend for new-hatch.

Oh... and they do have refill packages. But they are all 1 color (boo) but the prices aren't too bad if you are going to use them in the future (yay).

Yeah, I saw that. I'd be all over those if they were multiple colors! Will definitely look into that for future use, though. :)

Confirmed that I used size 6 on the regular chicks.

I emailed the manufacturer to see if they have a recommended size. If you pm your email address I can copy you... the mfgr is: [email protected]

Will do, thanks!

Sybie laid an egg today, so six eggies!! :celebrate Apparently, she also dug out one that she had hidden, because there were two eggs in there! Now I'm speculating that there wasn't a 5-day gap between her first and second eggs, as this one has a large air cell as well. I won't be setting it because of that large air cell. Her fresh one is set with the others, however, just under 24 hours afterward but it was still warm so maybe that will make the difference? Anyway, I marked it with M instead of W. With these new bands, if all six of these babies hatch, that one will just have to have more than one color to distinguish it, hence 'M' for multicolor. :p

Yeah, I saw that. I'd be all over those if they were multiple colors! Will definitely look into that for future use, though. :)

Will do, thanks!

Sybie laid an egg today, so six eggies!! :celebrate Apparently, she also dug out one that she had hidden, because there were two eggs in there! Now I'm speculating that there wasn't a 5-day gap between her first and second eggs, as this one has a large air cell as well. I won't be setting it because of that large air cell. Her fresh one is set with the others, however, just under 24 hours afterward but it was still warm so maybe that will make the difference? Anyway, I marked it with M instead of W. With these new bands, if all six of these babies hatch, that one will just have to have more than one color to distinguish it, hence 'M' for multicolor. :p
M instead of W?
:eek:
Write them down side by side then turn the paper 180 degrees, upside down. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom