Pipd's Peeps!

Whoo, sorry for the lack of updates and pictures this week (again :oops: ). I got my second dose of the covid vaccine this week and it really kicked my butt! I'm still pretty tired and achy today, but if I'm feeling better tomorrow, I'll try to get some pictures of the babies. 😊

As for updates, baby 7 had a relapse again on Tuesday, but has otherwise been fine this week! :celebrate I don't know if I actually will keep him as I don't know if this is genetic or what, but I've been looking at names, perhaps something referencing the weirdness with his tongue. 🤣

Everyone's outgrowing their brooders, but we're still having so much RAIN and I have nowhere to move the big kids outside permanently as a result. :barnie The rain is finally supposed to stop this weekend, so hopefully I can get things moving very soon! :fl It's way, way overdue now! 😩

And that's about it from my end! 😁

Whoo, sorry for the lack of updates and pictures this week (again :oops: ). I got my second dose of the covid vaccine this week and it really kicked my butt! I'm still pretty tired and achy today, but if I'm feeling better tomorrow, I'll try to get some pictures of the babies. 😊

As for updates, baby 7 had a relapse again on Tuesday, but has otherwise been fine this week! :celebrate I don't know if I actually will keep him as I don't know if this is genetic or what, but I've been looking at names, perhaps something referencing the weirdness with his tongue. 🤣

Everyone's outgrowing their brooders, but we're still having so much RAIN and I have nowhere to move the big kids outside permanently as a result. :barnie The rain is finally supposed to stop this weekend, so hopefully I can get things moving very soon! :fl It's way, way overdue now! 😩

And that's about it from my end! 😁
That is good news!

Hopefully the weird tongue ticks will stop now.

Hopefully the weird tongue ticks will stop now.

Yes, please! :fl He's fine again this morning, so maybe!

One of the English Orpingtons crowed this morning, which sent everyone in the big kid brooder scattering for their lives. :gig I didn't catch which one it was, just that it was too deep of a voice for the silkied Cochin boys to have done it. If I had to guess, I'd say red band Chocolate Mottled, as he's been acting pretty macho these days.

The Marans cockerel from Easter has been crowing as well, or, well, trying to? He just sounds like he's going "AAAAAAAAAH!!!" though 🤣

Still feeling a bit icky today, and I forgot I have plans this morning / early afternoon, so I think I'm going to put the pictures off one more day. It's still rainy today, so they'd just be boring brooder pictures anyway. :p They go outside tomorrow because it's supposed to be sunny all week, and if I can get a proper space set up in time, they won't be coming back inside.

They're out! It's muggy and warm and I'm absolutely beat, but at least they've made their big move!!

branching out.jpg

Here are some of the pictures I took of them getting used to their new pen. They're kinda bad because they're cell phone pictures; I just grabbed these when I set them loose rather than go all the way back to the house for my good camera. Did I mention it's muggy and miserable here? 😩

1 initial confusion.jpg
starting to relax.jpg

Baby 5. I feel like I should start calling them 'Mr.' or 'Ms.' number at this point... they've gotten so big and they aren't really babies anymore! 😭

Baby 5.jpg

Sweet Bella with the other girls in the background

Bella.jpg

Dieselllll

Diesel exploring.jpg

Harley; this picture is kinda poorly lit, but she is quite dark for a Blue. You'd almost not know she and Wash were blue if it weren't for their chick down. Thank goodness Diesel is actually blue!

Harley and unnamed sister.jpg

Washburne. She's darker in person, but definitely also blue :p

Washburne.jpg

The Crele Orpington with Perdita, my Red Dorking hen, in the background. This picture kind of makes him look huge, but it's just the angle. He's a big guy, but he's actually the smallest of the three English Orpingtons.

crele orp and Perdita.jpg

Purple band Chocolate Mottled Orp. Those feet are HUUUGE!!! Some of my adult large fowl hens have smaller feet than these boys!

purple band choc orp.jpg

Red band Chocolate Mottled:

red band choc orp.jpg

Oh, one more of Diesel being a tough guy. No need to worry about these kids when he's out there to keep all the dangers at bay! :rolleyes:

Diesel tough guy.jpg

Next step today is cleaning up the big kid brooder and getting it rebedded and set up for the next little ones to move in when they outgrow their baby brooder. I did move them out of the baby bin two days ago because it was getting cramped already, so they're currently in a modular brooder made of boxes. I set it up so one of the four boxes has shavings on the floor so they could get used to them without pressure to walk on them. Usually, this takes a few days and some encouragement, but these little stinkers were running around and digging through them from day one! :eek: So they could move to the big brooder pretty much as soon as I have it ready!

...It just feels like a shame to have put so much work into the box brooder and not have them use it fully. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom