Pipd's Peeps!

Whoops, I missed your post somehow! It's always interesting to me to see what kinds of creatures will take advantage of a kill like that. Also, a lot of people don't realize that bald eagles are frequent roadkill eaters, too! Actually, as far as raptors go, they're quite lazy and prefer to find easy food that way as opposed to catching food for themselves. Not exactly the most majestic means of dining for what is usually considered an elegant bird! 🤣

I popped over here to post because I'm very excited!! I've just placed an order for hatching eggs for the Easter Hatchalong! :wee What for? Ahaha... Well... naked neck bantams. Okay, I couldn't help myself! I've just always found naked necks interesting and as bantams? 😍 I can't wait!!

And, of course, if the silkied Cochin pullets are laying by then, there will be plenty of room in the incubator for them as well! 😁 It's gonna be a fun hatching season!
:celebrate

Youre pulling me over the edge to buy a NR360? incubator:barnie

Haha, well I'm definitely not gonna talk you out of it! 🤣 I've heard a lot of good things about the NR360s, and I've considered getting one for myself as well because of all the good I've heard about them (though I already have two incubators so I probably don't need a third one :p ). Are those available over there?

Haha, we'll I'm definitely not gonna talk you out of it! 🤣 I've heard a lot of good things about the NR360s, and I've considered getting one for myself as well because of all the good I've heard about them (though I already have two incubators so I probably don't need a third one :p ). Are those available over there?
Not sure... I saw someone selling it in the UK but... Well it's a bit if a prob getting it to Europe

The brinseas are too pricy

Brinseas are very expensive! I'm lucky both of mine were given to me as gifts--I'm not sure I would have bought them for myself, otherwise! But, to be fair, they do work very well and are easy to use, so I suppose they're worth at least some of that expense. :p

I hope you're able to get yourself a good incubator, either way! It is a lot of fun to watch them develop in the egg week by week and hatch right before your eyes! 😁

Brinseas are very expensive! I'm lucky both of mine were given to me as gifts--I'm not sure I would have bought them for myself, otherwise! But, to be fair, they do work very well and are easy to use, so I suppose they're worth at least some of that expense. :p

I hope you're able to get yourself a good incubator, either way! It is a lot of fun to watch them develop in the egg week by week and hatch right before your eyes! 😁
Yes! I did hatch in a cheap incubator so far. The first hatch was 60% not bad. The second time it was ummmm 2/16 chicks! (most were duds but anyway)

Broodies are my favourite way of hatching tho

Aww, I'm sorry that second hatch didn't go so well, but 60% on the first one isn't bad! I had an awful 20% hatch last year with my English Orpingtons, but they were shipped eggs. And, of course, the Old English that only hatched 5 out of like 12 eggs from my own birds... 😬

I've only ever let a broody hatch once, and there was another time a loooong time ago but I barely remember the circumstances on that one. It's probably selfish of me, but I prefer to hatch them myself. One of my favorite stages of their lives is when they're tiny bitsy babies in the brooder, bobbling around and learning how to chicken properly. :love

Whoops, I missed your post somehow! It's always interesting to me to see what kinds of creatures will take advantage of a kill like that. Also, a lot of people don't realize that bald eagles are frequent roadkill eaters, too! Actually, as far as raptors go, they're quite lazy and prefer to find easy food that way as opposed to catching food for themselves. Not exactly the most majestic means of dining for what is usually considered an elegant bird! 🤣
Yeah, we had a lot of cars stopping when the bald eagles were out there. But, then of course they flew off.

Good luck with your naked necks!

Another loss today, ugh. Troll hadn't been acting himself since the hawk attack on Monday. He and his brothers were safe and secure in their pen, but I guess it stressed him enough anyway that he couldn't take it. He was laying limp in their pen this morning so I brought him inside to see if he'd recover in the warmth, but he passed on not long afterward. 😔 Poor boy. He was a beautiful little dude.

Troll.jpg

Back
Top Bottom