Pipd's Peeps!

It's one of my favorite parts of chicken keeping, seeing them grow and develop and figure these things out. :love

...Which is why I've only ever had one year since the chickens became mine that I didn't get chicks at some point. :gig
So very true!

I have not had new ones in a couple of years-- but did get some quail. They are so fun!

Yesterday was Hug a Chicken Day, my favorite day of the year 🤣 So I figured it was close enough to time for the babies' monthly pictures! :D

Here are our silkie-feathered Cochin kiddos at about 7 months old, starting with Dandy! 💕

Dandelion.jpg

My man, Gus 😍 I could gush over this guy for days, I adore him!

Gus.jpg

Myrtle the fierce ❤

Myrtle.jpg

And my sweet girl Zinnia 🥰

Zinnia.jpg

Buzzy, the Silkie-Cochin mix, about a week younger than the above babies. He's still being a bit of a butthead, though he has calmed down a bit since my last update on him.

Buzz.jpg

Next, the 5-month-olds, starting with Buzz's full siblings, here is Amaretto:

Amaretto.jpg

Armada:

Armada.jpg

I've referred to those two as 'the twins' pretty much since I realized they were pullets and moved them to the main flock, but there are some subtle differences between them. Amaretto is creamier-colored, for instance, but what I find more interesting is that Amaretto seems to have inherited the rounded Cochin 'cushion' tail, while Armada's tail sticks out more like her Silkie aunt and grandmother's tails.

Anyway, here is Gluttony:

Gluttony.jpg

Our girl Peanut Butter 😍

Peanut Butter.jpg

And Rosey:

Rosey.jpg

Next, the 5-month-old Old English babies, starting of course with the girls, Havok:

Havok.jpg

And Sumi 😍

Sumi.jpg

And our fellas, Feldon:

Feldon.jpg

Louis:

Louis.jpg

And TROLL, doing the frazzled head-feather-spike that his dad always does when I worry him 🤣

Troll.jpg

Finally, here's just a mix of pictures I also took yesterday, mostly of the babies. Here are our Hug a Chicken Day hugs :love

Sweet little Havie 💕

Havok hacd hug.jpg

Peanut Butter was not sure she approved of hugs at first, but after some snuggling, she accepted her fate 🥰

Peanut Butter hacd hug angry.jpg
Peanut Butter hacd hug.jpg

Zinni was a very willing hugger, of course ❤

Zinnia hacd hug.jpg

And another teeny-tiny hug, this time from Altair :love

1604686357179.png

Gussy's not a hugger, so he got a wattle rub instead 🥰

Gus wattle rub.jpg

And there were more hugs, of course, but not on camera. 😁

Moving on, here is Amaretto being a cutie while perched on a grape vine:

Amaretto cutie.jpg

Glutty looking reeeeeal close at the camera lens:

Gluttony peek a boo.jpg

Havok being the perfect model :love

Havok close up.jpg

Louis, full of himself for being up high for once (he was on one of the rooster pens; I put him up there for his picture, but he was so proud of himself for being there 🤣 )

Louis the mighty.jpg

Altair again - gosh she's so pretty 💕

Altair 11-5-20.jpg

Aaaaaaand I had a couple more, but apparently I've hit the picture limit for one post :eek: Whoops!

EDIT: Oops, as it turns out I accidentally uploaded some things twice somehow? 🤔 Anyway, about those last two pictures...

Here's Huka giving me looks for photographing her molting shame:

1604687200784.png

And lastly, Rooska grumping me about her molt 🤣

1604687293122.png

Oh, boy, I'm excited today!! My little Zinni has recently gotten very red in the face and her comb and wattles are coming in well, signaling that she should be going into lay soon.

1605915214358.png

Well, today, she let Gus breed her! :eek: I mean, I don't think he actually got the job done (he's new at this, okay? :p ), but she squatted for him and didn't try to get away or anything, so she must be getting close to laying!! :wee

...Quick, someone help me come up with a good reason to hatch chicks this late in the year!! 🤣

Oh, boy, I'm excited today!! My little Zinni has recently gotten very red in the face and her comb and wattles are coming in well, signaling that she should be going into lay soon.

View attachment 2418864

Well, today, she let Gus breed her! :eek: I mean, I don't think he actually got the job done (he's new at this, okay? :p ), but she squatted for him and didn't try to get away or anything, so she must be getting close to laying!! :wee

...Quick, someone help me come up with a good reason to hatch chicks this late in the year!! 🤣
She is very close to POL!

Hatch them, hatch all of them. :wee

But seriously, I'm not sure. I've dabbled in the idea of selling them, but I've never done so before and I'm not really sure where to start. I've had plenty of people approach me for hatching eggs, though unfortunately usually when I don't have any to spare. There was a time I was afraid that I might be the last person with these beautiful silkie-feathered Cochins, and I'm head over heels for the OEGBs, so I'd love to see more people end up with them, even if not from my stock! 💕

Back
Top Bottom