Pipd's Peeps!

Hmmm, my SGD cockerel had a black chest right away... Though you're right, the pullets have had whitish chests at first, and Sumi did, too, now that I've looked back at her pictures. I misremembered that. 🤔

View attachment 2572607

The solid white chest on Bee threw me off because she's khaki silver duckwing. The cockerels are primarily white rather than black like plain silver duckwing, and so get solid white chests as they feather in. The females almost look like red pyle females, though with some differences, and I just assumed they'd get their salmon chest feathers right away, oops. :p I guess I didn't remember how Havok feathered out, but I think I was paying less attention because at the time I didn't think I could tell males from females on the khakis by their eye stripes and I thought the majority of those chicks were males anyway. How wrong I was. 🤣

Speaking of those children, I have thoroughly traumatized them today. :oops: I kept noticing droppings on the edge of their box brooder, and Bee has hopped out a couple times when I've sat with them, so I got a large puppy playpen with a zipper top to use as a brooder and contain the beasts. :p This sucker is about 4 feet from edge to edge so they ought to have plenty of room to buzz around compared to in the chambered boxes they had before! Here they are after getting over their initial fear of their new brooder, but hiding in terror from the new play perches. (Bee is the brave one out front :love )

View attachment 2572624

Oh, and now that Glutty and Amaretto have started laying, it looks like Armada is gearing up to lay her first egg today!! :wee She... picked the dirtiest nest box to use so... :oops:

View attachment 2572677
They are so cute!

Oops, time to brush the dust off this thread! I've been too focused on the Easter Hatchalong and not been posting here!

Just wanted to stop by to say Happy Hatchday to my lovely Zinnia :love One of the best things to happen to me last year was hatching these precious birds. Ironically enough, at least for Zinni, that happened on April Fools' Day--and that's no joke! :p

Zinnia hacd hug.jpg

Oops, time to brush the dust off this thread! I've been too focused on the Easter Hatchalong and not been posting here!

Just wanted to stop by to say Happy Hatchday to my lovely Zinnia :love One of the best things to happen to me last year was hatching these precious birds. Ironically enough, at least for Zinni, that happened on April Fools' Day--and that's no joke! :p

View attachment 2595397
Happy birthday to Zinnia!

It's warm and sunny today, so I finally took Sylvie and Kate back outside to see how they do. Here they are having a nice dust bath after too long without one :love

1617739888791.png

Sylv merged back into the flock like she'd never been gone, and no one batted an eye. Kate tried to keep up with her (the two of them have been together inside because Sylv kept hopping out of her pen and into Kate's so I just connected the pens), but in her old age she's not very steady on her feet, and when she tripped the other birds attacked her. :( Her comb is bloodied but she's otherwise okay, and back inside where she's safe. I'll have to make her a safe pen to go out in, I guess, as the other birds just don't seem to want her in the flock anymore.

Last edited:
It's warm and sunny today, so I finally took Sylvie and Kate back outside to see how they do. Here they are having a nice dust bath :love

View attachment 2602411

Sylv merged back into the flock like she'd never been gone, and no one batted an eye. Kate tried to keep up with her (the two of them have been together inside because Sylv kept hopping out of her pen and into Kate's so I just connected the pens), but in her old age she's not very steady on her feet, and when she tripped the other birds attacked her. :( Her comb is bloodied but she's otherwise okay, and back inside where she's safe. I'll have to make her a safe pen to go out in, I guess, as the other birds just don't seem to want her in the flock anymore.
I hope she heals up well for you!

Back
Top Bottom