Pipd's Peeps!

Well, the Orpington eggs I ordered from Carolina Rare Chicks back in February arrived today, surprise! :th I had no warning because this was naturally the week that we got lax about checking for the shipping notification email, so it was another whirlwind Wednesday cleaning out an incubator and getting it warming up. Looks like I'm going to have another staggered hatch whether I like it or not!

I ordered 6 each of Chocolate Mottled and Crele. I ended up receiving 7 Chocolate Mottleds and 8 Creles, so that's nice! A couple of the Creles are very calcified on one end, and a lot of the Chocolate Mottleds are porous, but he hatches from them before sending any eggs out, so they must be fine? :idunno I hope so, anyway. I'm very excited to see how these birds turn out!! :celebrate

Tonight is the day 7 candling for the silkied Cochin eggs, too, so I have that to look forward to once it's dark enough out! Somehow, despite all the veining and healthy embryos I saw a couple days ago, I'm still very anxious to see how they're doing. I'm keeping calm, though!

...Well, mostly...

eek run in circles.gif

I ordered 6 each of Chocolate Mottled and Crele. I ended up receiving 7 Chocolate Mottleds and 8 Creles, so that's nice! A couple of the Creles are very calcified on one end, and a lot of the Chocolate Mottleds are porous, but he hatches from them before sending any eggs out, so they must be fine? :idunno I hope so, anyway. I'm very excited to see how these birds turn out!! :celebrate
I love those colors! :love

Well, the Orpington eggs I ordered from Carolina Rare Chicks back in February arrived today, surprise! :th I had no warning because this was naturally the week that we got lax about checking for the shipping notification email, so it was another whirlwind Wednesday cleaning out an incubator and getting it warming up. Looks like I'm going to have another staggered hatch whether I like it or not!

Tonight is the day 7 candling for the silkied Cochin eggs, too, so I have that to look forward to once it's dark enough out! Somehow, despite all the veining and healthy embryos I saw a couple days ago, I'm still very anxious to see how they're doing. I'm keeping calm, though!

...Well, mostly...

View attachment 2665951
7 days is good for a staggered hatch!

The day 7 candling report for the silkied Cochins is great news! 100% fertility, each and every one of them at least started to develop! I had two blood rings, and one embryo that just looks a bit off, but 9 for sure going strong! :wee I'm so happy!!

I love those colors! :love

Me, too! :love I never knew Crele was a thing in Orpingtons before ordering these, but I've always wanted some Chocolate Orpingtons! As soon as I saw those Chocolate Mottleds I knew they were the ones for me :love

7 days is good for a staggered hatch!

Yeah, it's at least ideal in that sense. After the last staggered hatch, though, I swore I'd never do that to myself again if I could avoid it. Looks like the universe had other plans! 🤣

Last edited:
Large fowl Ameraucana. This one was labelled as 'Mottled', but doesn't look like the project mottleds I've seen before... Not sure if that's changed since then. If I had to guess, she looks like an Exchequer-type pattern to me (dominant white over mottled). Still, absolutely stunning! :love
I saw that one there too!
B08AAF14-85C2-4AD0-8D03-75C1F015EFED.jpeg

That makes sense! All I knew was she didn't look like the Mottled birds I'm accustomed to seeing. Like, the Mottled Ameraucana project birds I'd seen in the past were more like my Ancona, a definitely black bird with white spots. My (to be fair hatchery quality) Mottled Cochin bantams are heavily white as well, but still look like they're black based with white blotches, at least to me. So yeah, she at least didn't look Mottled to my eye. She was beautiful, nonetheless! :love

That makes sense! All I knew was she didn't look like the Mottled birds I'm accustomed to seeing. Like, the Mottled Ameraucana project birds I'd seen in the past were more like my Ancona, a definitely black bird with white spots. My (to be fair hatchery quality) Mottled Cochin bantams are heavily white as well, but still look like they're black based with white blotches, at least to me. So yeah, she at least didn't look Mottled to my eye. She was beautiful, nonetheless! :love
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peppermint-ameraucana.1281652/

Back
Top Bottom