Piping in the middle of the egg

Ndahly

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Minnesota
Hello everyone!!
How normal is it for chicks to pip in the middle of the eggs or out of the air cell area? The first chick that hatched knocked all the eggs around and cracked the one in the middle of the egg. Now it's been working its way out there. Is this normal? I noticed my other chick has pipped below the air cell as well. They've both been peeping and poking their beaks out. I planned to just leave the one and watch it. He's been unzipped like this for about 4 hours now.

Attachments

• 20220716_202211.jpg
    20220716_202211.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 22
Hello everyone!!
How normal is it for chicks to pip in the middle of the eggs or out of the air cell area? The first chick that hatched knocked all the eggs around and cracked the one in the middle of the egg. Now it's been working its way out there. Is this normal? I noticed my other chick has pipped below the air cell as well. They've both been peeping and poking their beaks out. I planned to just leave the one and watch it. He's been unzipped like this for about 4 hours now.
I personally do not usually assist even if the bird has pipped in the middle of the egg or on the wrong side. I've had birds hatch when pipping on the wrong side many times. If they've made a hole in the shell and actively breathing, I've never seen an issue. I've widened the pip hole if the hatch has gone past day 22, but never before. I would definitely ensure to read through the guides on assisting because if you over-assist, it can be very detrimental and result in chick death.

I personally do not usually assist even if the bird has pipped in the middle of the egg or on the wrong side. I've had birds hatch when pipping on the wrong side many times. If they've made a hole in the shell and actively breathing, I've never seen an issue. I've widened the pip hole if the hatch has gone past day 22, but never before. I would definitely ensure to read through the guides on assisting because if you over-assist, it can be very detrimental and result in chick death.
Yeah I read the thread on here about assisted hatching, I'm glad I found it. I was planning on just leaving the chick aand to let it do its thing! I'm just curious how normal it is for them to pip in the middle. I candled on day 18 but didn't mark the air cell because my 2 year old daughter was having a major meltdown so I just made sure everyone was alive still. So I'm not sure where the air cells are exactly now.

Hello everyone!!
Baby has managed to zip from there, so theres not too much of an issue- the egg looks pretty stuck with the others around it, if left zipped like that for hours, I would just go ahead and pop the top off for it.

Yeah I read the thread on here about assisted hatching, I'm glad I found it. I was planning on just leaving the chick aand to let it do its thing! I'm just curious how normal it is for them to pip in the middle. I candled on day 18 but didn't mark the air cell because my 2 year old daughter was having a major meltdown so I just made sure everyone was alive still. So I'm not sure where the air cells are exactly now.
It just looks like you need to move the one egg shell out of the way so the chick can push out of the egg.

I've had chicks pip in middle, sometimes their air cell is actually at that level by the time they're ready to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom