Pipped at small end

Well the chick did manage to hatch sometime last night but did not survive the day.
sad.png
It was very weak this morning and died early this afternoon. It still had a bit of yolk out, about the size of a pencil eraser.

Three others have hatched. 2 are doing well and the 3rd seems weak. The last egg has not pipped yet but is alive. I'm not giving up yet on it but I'm having a hard time keeping the humidity up. I've got the entire base full and a wet washcloth in there but it's still only about 59%. Of course we are very dry here right now, about 32% in the house. Oh!!! :mad: DUH! I just figured it out! We just got our wood stove hooked up and going, that's why it's so dry! I usually have a pot of water on it and a humidifier going but haven't done it yet. (new house, this is our first winter here) Gotta go find a pot for the stove, somewhere in all those boxes.........
tongue.png

In my last hatch 9 out of 10 hatched fine, the 10th never pipped but was fully formed, yolk absorbed when I opened the egg. But that was before we had the stove going.

Lisa, this was the only Modern egg in there, the rest are bantam turken and/or easter egger crosses. My moderns haven't been laying for a while and when I got that one egg I had to set it. It looked normal but there may have been a problem with it.

We sound alike!
I would like to stay away from white cochins since I have a hen and a roo, and then I have like 5 other roos. So I really dont have anymore room for roos
sad.png

But if you ever have eggs or chicks of a different color in cochins look me up hehe thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom