Pipped at wrong end...should I be worried?

NCchicken

Songster
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
I have one egg that is pipped at the wrong end. I am 110% sure its the wrong end the breeder even marked the top of the egg. They are Easter eggers and I have them in a paper egg carton. Should I be worried? Advice is welcome! Thanks. Oh and this is only my third hatch and my other two didn't have this issue.
-A nervous Nelly:)

yep if affraid so ive had chicks pip at the bottom when there suppose to hatch in the middle but if their upside down then the navel cavity is attached to the air cell

Hi Nelly

Breech chicks are problematic for 2 reasons;

1 - They cannot access the air cell to start breathing and internally pip (your's has bypassed this problem and gone to external pip.

2 - When they unzip it is often at a slanted angle due to the restricted space in the narrow end of the egg.

However yours must be a strong chick to manage to externally pip and has resolved the problems in point 1.

When the chick rotates just keep an eye on it so you're sure its unzipping all the way round the egg. If it slows its progress you can intervene but only when you are certain its unzipping.

Good Luuck.

Pete
wink.png

Thank you so much for your responses! Unfortunanty I am at work today (
rant.gif
) and can't check on the little guy until I get home. I will see if there has been any progress and make my assesment then. I have a feeling that if there is no progress then I will try to help it out and see what happens.
fl.gif

My wrong end pipper has hatched! Sometime in the middle of the night it hatched out and is doing OK. Still all wet but stumbling around like normal.
fl.gif
That it will be ok! Thanks BYCers for your help!

Well, he didn't make it. He hatched out and was also covered in this super glue type stuff. I wiped him off and dried him gently with a blow dryer. He loved the blow dryer! But something was wrong with his eyes. He wouldn't open them and I didn't notice until my DH pointed it out this morning. I thought he was doing just fine, but I guess I was wrong. I tried to help it get some water this morning and wiped it's eyes gently with a warm washcloth but I couldn't save him. He ended up dying this morning at just two days old. I don't know if it pipped at the wrong end becuase of it's eye problem or if he had an eye problem because he was upside down. I had a nice service for him and buried him under the Maple tree in the front yard and made a gravestone for him, my little Ewok. He was called back to the Earth.

Back
Top Bottom