Pipped wrong end, worried about opening incubator to help

PaisyQ

Songster
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
SW Michigan
I have 6 eggs in a Brinsea Mini Advance incubate. We are on day 20 of incubation. I came home from work today to find that three of the 6 have pipped, but one is pipped on the wrong end. A bit of the shell is off, and there is a small hole in the membrane. The membrane that I can see is white, no sign of blood. The chick moved once, and is periodically cheeping. I don't know how long the pip has been there, but there was no pipping when I went to work this morning, so, sometime in the last 12 hours.

I am going to keep an eye on things through the night, but I am nervous about opening the incubator if assistance is needed. I'm guessing people must do it, but I've always been told don't open it til all the chicks are hatched. With two others pipping... hopefully they'll have hatched before I have a need to assist, but there are three others that aren't showing signs of hatching yet... I don't know. Should I open to assist this one if needed, or just let it die to make sure the others are okay?

Hello!
First of all, I don't think it will necessarily die, because I've had ones that pipped in weird places, although not upside down.

Personally, I never have qualms about opening the incubator. But 50% of my chicks do die on day 21........I hope the two aren't correlated! I've never thought of that before....

Hope all turns out well!

Back
Top Bottom