pipping and zipping!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by packmomma, Oct 28, 2011.

1. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    We got some serious pipping and zipping here of my 14 eggs. [​IMG] Two have hatched already and it looks like 4 more will come today too. [​IMG] So far I have a Golden Comet x Golden laced Wyandotte mix..very cute..looks golden, and a silkie x Golden Laced Wyandotte mix...looks like a silkie. I'm so glad I have at least one so far that will grow up looking like momma..I miss her so much. I'll post pictures later once they dry out a bit. They are both sleeping now.

2. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    Congrats! So exciting when they start to hatch. It just never gets old. Good luck on the remaining eggs! [​IMG]

3. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    [​IMG]
    i would do the happy chicken dance for you but i am so pregnant it hurts LOL! i tried doing it for my chickens didnt work out so well hahaha

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    what happened to mama?? [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have had one hatch last night on day 19 and 15 pips last count this morning...

6. packmomma

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Well the neighbors dog comes over now and then. He used to be my dog when he was a pup but I had more dogs than I could handle..so I gave him to my neighbor. Since then I am down to one adopted small dog which apparently he thinks is his girlfriend. The dog comes down to visit her every now and then. He's came here before when my chickens were out and didn't bother them. This one day though I let them free range and he saw my silkie and I guess grabbed her with his mouth and took her home. They drove down immediately and told me they had my little white chicken. She was still alive but wouldn't move. I hopped in and went back with them and they had put her in a cardboard box and we drove back home. I took her into the house and grabbed her gently out and looked her over. She had no puncture wounds but a small tear by her butt. The dog had taken a chunk of feathers. I tried to calm her and set her up on her feet and talked sweetly to her. She was panting really heavy and she closed her eyes. I held her close and loved on her..but she started spazzing out and died there on my table. They felt so bad. He's like if there is anything I can do, you just tell me..I loved that little chicken and I know you will miss her...stupid dog guess we can't let him out anymore. I told him to please don't feel bad. We didn't know he would take her home or even both them. Now we know and it will just be a matter of communication. I don't let them free range often because we have other dogs that come over..but when I do I will just text them and let them know they are out. Anyway before she died I had set 3 eggs in the bator to see what I would get..so now they are hatching. Its sad and joyous at the same time. I really miss my April but I know I'll love her babies too. Its ironic really..April was a tractor supply save a chick. The others were eating her and I told them to put her in a box, I"m taking her home...so she survived only to die. Guess God really needed another silkie chicken. I think he's addicted just like we are![​IMG]

7. packmomma

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Here are part of my new arrivals. The first 4 chicks...2 silkie mixes, one golden comet mix, and one EE mix..two more zipping as we read!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    so cute...look at the size difference

9. packmomma

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    I have all sorts of mutt chickens. [​IMG] The biggest one was born yesterday afternoon and is a Golden Comet mix, then the other golden looking one is an EE mix..the other two little ones are silkie mix..I just got my 5 baby..another EE mix. They are all doing great.. I know everyone says don't open the bator..but my humidity has not dropped cause I sneak in and I'm doing it anyway [​IMG] I can't stand them poor things flopping around on wire..not solid footing in my opinion..they are moved to a brooder to dry off and have some friends love on them..and by love I mean step on lol. I really want to redo my incubator for next time. Maybe use the top and then fit it onto a homemade bottom. I need more vision in there, I'm going crazy trying to see through the top. I have two more pipped..just in resting mode for the zip later tonight. The other eggs must need another day or so. I candled on day 15 and all were moving in there so I"m hopeful. [​IMG]

The only other variety I have in there is one lonely Black Austrorp mix.

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Is it just a fluff difference maybe? That big fat one looks much more fluffed up than the others. Or are the other ones actually really tiny?

Whatever, they're very cute. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by