Pipping but no zipping after 24 hours ... help! pics

kberndtson

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 12, 2010
I was so excited to see my first chick pipping yesterday morning at Day 20! Now 24 hours later at Day 21 it's barely progressed and just seems to be sitting there. Is it already too late or is there something that I can do? I know it was still alive last night because we saw it moving and heard it peeping. I haven't seen any movement or anything from any of the other 6 eggs. I'm bummed.
sad.png

Here's the pip from yesterday a.m.:
57368_dsc_0259.jpg

Here's the pip from this morning:
57368_dsc_0261.jpg

Leave it alone and make sure your humidity is high-trust me, it can never be too high! Good luck-otherwise, sit on your hands!!

What do you consider high? From day 1-18 it ran around low to mid 40s. Now I've bumped it up to right around 62-65 (wet bulb 88). Should I go higher?

Quote:
Well, that seems good to me! Just hang in there, it's nerve wracking to be sure, but if nothing happens, it won't be becuz of you, sometimes that's the way it goes. Were the eggs shipped? If so, there's one reason, you just don't know about these things, the age of the egg, etc. There's a million reasons why eggs don't hatch, please don't beat yourself up over it! Also, helping an egg is definitely a personal opinion, I've done it, but really wish I hadn't. Mother nature does know best, and for all the eggs I've helped, only one was worth it. The others had problems and I should've left them alone. There's a reason for everything.

This is the third batch of eggs I've tried to hatch. All three of the batches have been shipped eggs. I haven't gotten any live chicks yet. The last two batches I lost them at all different stages, from about 14 to 19 days. I was afraid my humidity levels were too inconsistent last time so I've really watched and monitored them this time and was so excited to see a pip. This is the first time we've gotten this far so I'm really bummed we seem to be losing them again. We candled this last batch right before locking down and we had 7 really good eggs out of 12. I cracked open the five that I didn't lock down and three didn't appear to be fertlized at all, the remaining two were scrambled. I had high hopes for this batch because they all looked good going in, but now I'm worried. I haven't opened the incubator at all and my husband keeps laughing at me when I add water through a straw, but I'm determined this time!

I had this same thing happen- I waited until there were no other pips on the other eggs and continued to crack the shell until it was all the way open. My little one had not absorbed the yoke, so I had to wash it 3 different times before it fluffed up. Turned out it had a broken toe, which had to be splinted. All this from my first time hatching!

The majority of my eggs didn't pip and hatch until day 22 -the end of day 21 I only had 2 out of 21, so don't give up on your eggs! I also had a few that hatched on day 23! I kept my humidity day 1-17 at around 40 and day 18-23 at 70.

Back
Top Bottom