1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pipping eggs are getting bonked around from a vigorous sibling!! Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlady3, Jan 31, 2012.

1. chickenlady3

chickenlady3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Central California
    I have one little chick that literally "lept" out of his shell. He is the first chick but he is now scattering the eggs, rolling them around onto the site where the others have pipped (turning pip down towards the bottom of the incubator). What should I do?? Thanks!

2. simple just be quick and take him out

3. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Sometimes in life your the player....and sometimes you're the puck. Don't worry - they'll all be fine!

I only open the bator when about 1/3 of them have hatched. I take the bator into the bathroom, run a hot shower to raise temps/humidity in the room, then quickly remove chicks & shells. Then I close the bator and take it out of the bathroom.

Dont be in too much of a hurry!

4. chickenlady3

chickenlady3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Central California
    ok, thanks....nervous first time hatcher! lol

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Its hard not to interfere. But sometimes, I believe, that it stimulates the others to get cracking.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    just leave the little one the bator the others will be just fine

7. NightTigress

NightTigress New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    I've had that before. XD You can take him out, but just be aware that he may get very anxious by himself. I -HAVE- noticed that via leaving the fiesty, fully-hatched ones in there, the others seem to hatch a bit quicker. I think hearing the others, and being jostled around, motivates them to get out of the shell. But I have removed some if they're getting VERY active, or if there's one that I'm worried about still hatching.

Isn't it so exciting??

8. kevinurant135

kevinurant135 New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    California
    spammer links removed by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
  9. Um whats up with all the links

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by