Pipping Peeps!--Update and photos

Well, darn...my NN is not a NN! In all my excitement, I mistook the wet baby for what it was not. (I was also dead on my feet.) Still darn cute, though. If I'm correct by judging the wing pin feathers, it's probably male. No big deal...I guaranteed to get NN's from that pen, and all splash.

BUT--This morning, I have two Sassy Silkie coneheads, one cuckoo, one white, and the buff pipped! I also have one frizzle cochin, with 2 of 3 left pipped, and both BLRW's pipped. One of th cochins is trying to unzip, and it looks black. The hatched one looks spotted black and white...I have no idea what color it will be, since the hen is white and the cockerel is black.

Splash chick...
splash_chick.jpg

Conehead fluffbutts
Sas_silkie02.jpg

I really got to looking at my frizzle when it was drying, and discovered it's BLUE! I have no idea how this happened, since no blue was involved. My hen is the product of a frizzle birchen cochin x white silkie, my roo is pure black cochin. Where the heck did the blue come from? It has slightly pigmented skin, but the normal number of toes. The only thing I can think of is somehow Stupid may have gotten to her, but how and when??
barnie.gif

This would not be the first time Stupid has mysteriously contributed to the gene pool.
roll.png

Last edited:
Another frizzle hatched, and it looks like it may be blue also! I dunno...I may be seeing something that isn't there, but their down looks blue to me! It doesn't look like the typical black I've seen in my Jerseys and other black chicks. I guess the pin feathers will tell the story when they emerge in a few days.

frizzle_chicks.jpg

Dried cuckoo silkie...fully bearded!
cuckoo_chick.jpg

White silkie...this one is a little fiesty brat!
buff_chick.jpg

Stacey, Those blue? frizzled chicks are the cutest little things. I think they will turn out to be adorable as adults. Good luck with them all and enjoy cuddling them.

OK OK OK Enough with the evil silkies. I'm looking for some OEGB HENS!! SO get with it chicken bator and produce!!!

Nice looking little birds though I know you are proud! Thanks for sharing!!

Randy

Donald, I really think they are. With two of them being blue now, the only thing I can think of is that maybe the white has been masking a blue gene, and it would have had to come from the Silkie side. I'm racking my brain, and I cannot recall Stupid ever having gotten in with my frizzle, so I'm pretty sure he's not the culprit. I still have another two frizzle eggs to go today, plus more due to hatch on Wednesday, so we'll see what I get from those.

All of a sudden, the last four decided to all come out about the same time. I guess they got tired of their cramped quarters! The last two frizzles are black.

Back
Top Bottom