1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pipping problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Neverdone, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Neverdone

Neverdone Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2015
    Cahokia IL
    I had three eggs under my muscovy hen, one hatched two days ago, one went bad, and the third is still u hatched. I see movement inside, it looks as if the duckling is trying to pip throught that membrane to the air sac, but isn't able to. Since one egg hatched two days ago, I haven't seen her go for a swim, but she'll briefly leave the nest for a poo. Does the egg need humidity from mom's swim to be whatever enough for the duckling to pip? I don't want to interfere unless absolutely necessary, but as this is my first hatch ever, well....nerves. I thought nature knows best always, but since mom sat on a rotting egg for I don't know how long, I thought I'd ask some knowledgeable people.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ooh, @Neverdone

I did not see this till just now.

How did things turn out?[​IMG]

(I am not a hatcher . . . but I try to help)

3. Neverdone

Neverdone Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2015
    Cahokia IL

Well, the little duckling pipped internally, I can see lots of bustling about in there! Skippy is still sitting, and her other duckling, hatched and named Tuesday, has moved in with Skippy's sister, Scout. I am checking the egg periodically, hoping for a hatch today. Because Tuesday & Friday? Cute! Also, I'm just ready for the second baby! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by