Pipping question, is there trouble??

clhbubba

Songster
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Central Oklahoma
My Golden Seabrights are pipping as we speak. One of them has a large hole in one side of it but isn't really zipping around the egg. The membrane looks dry around the hole but the chick is alive. If it's not made any progress by tomorrow morning, should I chip a bit of the shell away?? I have to go to work and won't be hear for 10 hours if it needs help. Any input would be great. Hopefully it'll just be out in the morning and I won't have to stress all of this while I'm at work!! I'm rambling because I'm a nervous ninny trying to sit on my hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it can take a while for them to zip but I'm worried about the dried membrane. It looks like it might be stuck to the chick around the hole that it's opened. The hole is about the size of a dime and it's all dried up. The other egg is pipped and zipping nicely. No pips from the other eggs yet, still waiting. My hands are in my pockets!! At least until morning;)

If you believe the membrane is dry, you may want to check the humidity level in the incubator. You can place a damp paper towel or clean wash rag on the membrance to try and rehydrate it a bit.

Carla

I believe my humidity is roughly 40-45 percent. My hygrometer is the kind with the 'green' zone. The rings in the bottom are all full. If I open the bator to put in a wet paper towel is that going to throw the temp out of wack. Sorry for the Q's but this is only my 3rd hatching.

The rings were to the rim and I had 2 wet paper towels in there and it wouldn't get any higher. This morning the chick that was zipping had only gotten halfway and was dead. The other chick with the large hole was still alive but had made no progress. She was certainly stuck. I helped her a bit but left the butt end of the shell there incase the yolk wasn't absorbed. I then put some water in the resevoir out side of the rings and the humidity finally came up to around 60%. I have to go to work this morning. Hope that helps the other 8 eggs.

You did the right thing. It's so frustrating to depend on the incubator to work properly, and then it doesn't.
sad.png

Good luck with the rest of the hatch. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Carla

Back
Top Bottom