Pipping question

Jul 9, 2022
We have six eggs that had movement on our last candling day. Today is day 21. Two chicks have already successfully hatched. I missed both hatches.

I notice a new egg has a pip mark in the shell, however, it is still covered with membrane, there is no pip “hole” like I’ve seen in other photos and videos.

I don’t know when it pipped so I’m not sure how long it’s been that way. Is this an okay first step? How long can it stay with the membrane over top and no actual hole?

I also think it might have pipped at the wrong end? I’ve attached a photo.

Attachments

• 1B10D318-79B8-420D-AFFB-5A1E6D698A49.jpeg
    1B10D318-79B8-420D-AFFB-5A1E6D698A49.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 23
We have six eggs that had movement on our last candling day. Today is day 21. Two chicks have already successfully hatched. I missed both hatches.

I notice a new egg has a pip mark in the shell, however, it is still covered with membrane, there is no pip “hole” like I’ve seen in other photos and videos.

I don’t know when it pipped so I’m not sure how long it’s been that way. Is this an okay first step? How long can it stay with the membrane over top and no actual hole?

I also think it might have pipped at the wrong end? I’ve attached a photo.
Normal, it can take up to 48 hours from pip to hatch, don't worry.

Normal, it can take up to 48 hours from pip to hatch, don't worry.
Even though it looks like it’s pipped at the wrong end? And there’s no hole leading into the inside? Just the membrane? Sorry for all the questions and concerns, this hatching part is proving to be very anxiety-inducing for me. 😅

Even though it looks like it’s pipped at the wrong end? And there’s no hole leading into the inside? Just the membrane? Sorry for all the questions and concerns, this hatching part is proving to be very anxiety-inducing for me. 😅
They sometimes pip on the wrong end, you may have to assist but not yet. If you're really concerned, you take clean tweezers and break through the membrane. Were the eggs tilted so the aircell end was slightly up?

They sometimes pip on the wrong end, you may have to assist but not yet. If you're really concerned, you take clean tweezers and break through the membrane. Were the eggs tilted so the aircell end was slightly up?
I tried to line them all up in the rotating tray the correct way. I am a little bit worried, though, because I made a big mistake on lockdown where I didn’t take out the rotating racks. So the eggs would have rotated for two extra days before it dawned on me and I took them out. I am kicking myself for missing this step. However, we’ve had two successful hatches since then, and plus this one egg that has pipped. 😬

Update! All is well, I had to help peel some of the membrane while it was kicking and squirming at the same time and then it was finally free.

Too much stress for me. 😂

Attachments

• 9A508A7E-4DEF-403D-A3E7-D08B4094C338.jpeg
    9A508A7E-4DEF-403D-A3E7-D08B4094C338.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom