Pipping

bigbum1984

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Kent, England
this is my first time incubating eggs and they are on lockdown, it is day 20 and one of them has pipped. How long do I leave it until intervening?
She pipped about 6 hours ago then made the hole a bit bigger about 3 hours ago, just wanted some advice as I'm really excited and don't want her struggling

From pip to completing the hatch can take up to 24 hours, sometimes more. Unless there has been no progress after 30 + hours and it's obvious the chick is in trouble don't intervene. Hatching is a slow process and the chick needs to do a lot, getting used to breathing, absorbing the remaining yolk in the egg and the blood in the membrane, before leaving the shell. This all takes time.
For the others that hasn't pipped yet, give them time. Most of my hatches have been day 21-22, some chicks even hatched on day 23-25. Wait until day 22-23 before checking for signs or life in the remaining eggs. If there are any pipped eggs don't open the incubator as this will mess around the humidity. And read the article linked above, there is very, very good info on assisted hatches there. Good luck!

Leave it in the incubator and keep the humidity up. Are you sure it's yolk? Can you post a pic?

might need to zoom in, its gotten smaller so pretty sure it was yolk

If it's gotten smaller it's good. Have you got any antibiotic cream in the house? One without painkiller. Put a bit of that on the chick's navel and the protrusion and put it on something clean, like paper towels. I'm a bit worried about it being on straw with it's navel like that. It can get infected easily.

Back
Top Bottom