pistol vault

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JasperCountyNative, Jul 27, 2010.

1. JasperCountyNative

JasperCountyNative Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Mississippi
    Anyone have any experience with Imprint Biometric (Fingerprint) pistol safes?

Looking for something easily accessible for my wife and me that will keep out the kids.

2. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Far better to TEACH the kids about the weapon than make it a secret that needs to be explored. Curiousity about "secrets" hurts more kids than careless handling of a firearm. Kids aren't stupid, teach them then still keep it in a safe place. Satisfy their curiosity, show them exactly what that weapon does, how to use it SAFELY, and, as a gerneral rule, kids will respect firearms for what they are.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That wasn't the question the OP asked. [​IMG]

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:I don't have any experience with this brand but [​IMG] to you for wanting to keep the kids safe.

Yes ~ children should be taught to respect firearms, however this is not like telling a child to stay out of the cookie jar. If they, or a visiting friend doesn't follow the rules ~ it could be deadly. I have seen it ~ I am a retired Police Officer.

It looks a little small ~ but should be fine for one pistol.
    Inprint Biometric (Fingerprint) Safe
    Features Price $379.00 Reg. $299.00 SALE

* Quick access (requiring only one finger).
    * Spring loaded door for reliable, fast access.
    * Rugged 16 gauge steel construction.
    * State-of-the-art technology
    * Can be reconfigured quickly and easily.
    * Recognizes up to 15 individual fingerprints.
    * Intrinsic reliability of the biometric technology in the INPRINT is stated at 1:100,000 for a false acceptance rate (FAR).
    * Standard key back-up.
    * Soft padded foam lining to protect valuables.
    * Mounting holes for ease of installation.
    * Optional accessories (mounting bracket and AC adapter) available.
    * California Department of Justice approved as a firearms safety device.

Specifications
    External Dimensions 12" L x 11" W x 7" H
    Front Opening 9" W x 4.25" H

Weight About 14 pounds
    Battery one 9 volt (not included)
    Warranty 1 year limited manufacturers warranty​

5. JasperCountyNative

JasperCountyNative Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Mississippi
    My kids will be familiarized and proficient with firearms when the time comes, but for now inaccessibility is the word.

I want something secure that doesn't require a lot of searching for keys or remembering codes.

When it comes to home protection, time is of the essence.

6. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    In response to the question that the OP asked. I would certainly test drive one of the biometric safes before purchasing one. The main factors to consider are repeatability (the finger scan unit on my laptop works perhaps 33% of the time) and the sound level of the lock mechanism.

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:My kids were taught from a young age and do not have the morbid fascination of other kids with firearms. I started with a bolt-action BB gun so I could conduct "elbow supervision" by handing them one BB at a time. When firearms safety was imprinted by the age of 5, I graduated them to a single shot bolt action 22LR (a chipmunk, a current similar model is the "cricket") with the same "elbow supervision". My kids are now grown and have their own hunting firearms now. I still have that chipmunk and still use it.

8. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    never mind.. should have read it better. I think if I had to have a safe, thats what I would be looking at.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  9. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

The guy who taught the legal section of the gun safety course I took uses one of these, and highly recommends it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by