Pitbulls? Don't want to have an incorrect understanding of the breed

Okay sorry I didn't see people were still responding to my previous threads. I saw this thread asking for ideas on pitbulls. Also to be clear, it says "Pitbulls". So I kindly wrote my response knowing this was controversial. No, I am not a APBT expert, I did not prepare a list of facts and links like some of you, I didn't even know the whole difference between APBTs and pitbulls. Thats kind of the reason I clicked on the thread. I wanted to see your side of view, and learn more, is that not why we are all on BYC? I got the response from people and expected a kind discussion of the matter. Then someone told others to "ignore" me because I wasn't listening?? Is cancel culture actually seeping into BYC? I hope not. Would I have still been responding if I wasn't listening?? Im on this thread to listen. Obviously Im not going to just give in to your view the moment you gave a few facts. Thats not how multiple sided discussions go. The more reasons you give the more I understand the topic and how you see things. I see now that there are American Pitbull Terriers and the pitbull crosses you see at animal shelters and such. As I did not know much going into this (why I went into this), I responded to what I knew as a Pitbull, a sweet loving dogs. Again, the title says "pitbulls". Then chickentrains told me my dogs are poorly trained because they aren't a fan of cats? Come on people just think before you type these things. Be nice for once. But really people, are the snotty messages and serious arguments really necessary? We are discussing dogs! Dogs are hugely important and amazing and all but arguing over them? I tried to put in as many laughing emojis as I could to show it was all light-hearted. Im still very curious about what you guys say about dominance and order within dogs. And I wanted to keep discussing that. It doesn't make sense to me that there can be no understanding of dominance, or alpha/beta, in dogs. A human commanding a dog to sit is not hardwired into their brain, yet they learn it. We cant CAT scan a dogs brain and see that it understands its name is Indy, or Finn, or whatever it is. Almost all group oriented animals have an understanding of one animal having more authority than another. From bees, to chickens, to humans, to elephants. Why can a dog not learn that one human or another dog is in charge over another. They are incrediblely smart animals. Also, reading your alpha debunking article, I believe the alpha theory and use it but never, never, hit my dogs. I can do things like telling them to stay before they walk through a door, siting before eating and I tell them when they can go. Don't worry I only wait like 10 seconds. It only teaches them obedience. They are some of the happiest most loving dogs you'll ever meet! Im training one for hunting so she needs to understand who gives directions to keep her safe and close by.

Also, is anyone else having problems with autocorrect 😂. Every time I type "pitbull", it tries to autocorrect to "pitfall".
Okay, wait wait wait, I couldn't get the second article to load but just did. There is not even the slightest mention of a CAT scan. Just about what they think of the Alpha thing. You don't have to hit your dog into obedience. But the things like walking through doors first and such just teach obedience if nothing else and makes them more well trained. I don't see what the problem is with that. A CAT scan does not read a dogs mind. A CAT scan creates an image of the brain by compiling many many 2D images into a 3D structure. Then the 2D pictures allows us to see abnormalities and stuff like tumors.

Okay, wait wait wait, I couldn't get the second article to load but just did. There is not even the slightest mention of a CAT scan. Just about what they think of the Alpha thing. You don't have to hit your dog into obedience. But the things like walking through doors first and such just teach obedience if nothing else and makes them more well trained. I don't see what the problem is with that.

I am a person who uses prong collars and e-collars on my dogs. Somebody who would probably agree with the alpha theory? But no, I don't. I follow the LIMA dog training method.

LIMA” is an acronym for the phrase “least intrusive, minimally aversive.” LIMA describes a trainer or behavior consultant who uses the least intrusive, minimally aversive strategy out of a set of humane and effective tactics likely to succeed in achieving a training or behavior change objective.

I am a person who uses prong collars and e-collars on my dogs. Somebody who would probably agree with the alpha theory? But no, I don't. I follow the LIMA dog training method.

LIMA” is an acronym for the phrase “least intrusive, minimally aversive.” LIMA describes a trainer or behavior consultant who uses the least intrusive, minimally aversive strategy out of a set of humane and effective tactics likely to succeed in achieving a training or behavior change objective
Great! I have tried them too but my dogs didn't really care about them. They responded more to the beep than the buzz 😂.

I don't really see how this responds to my particular post though

Okay, wait wait wait, I couldn't get the second article to load but just did. There is not even the slightest mention of a CAT scan. Just about what they think of the Alpha thing. You don't have to hit your dog into obedience. But the things like walking through doors first and such just teach obedience if nothing else and makes them more well trained. I don't see what the problem is with that. A CAT scan does not read a dogs mind. A CAT scan creates an image of the brain by compiling many many 2D images into a 3D structure. Then the 2D pictures allows us to see abnormalities and stuff like tumors.

I wasn't saying that Article explained how CAT or CT scans work on dogs, it was just meant to debunk the alpha theory. I could find some articles about such scans, if you'd like. I was just implying that by science, I mean brain scans.

Remember the REALLY! old study on dogs and salivating? Same concept. Dogs speak to us, just not with a voice. If you just stop and listen to your dog, they tell you a lot. Just because they don't speak english, doesn't mean they cannot talk to you. So that, and science, tells you a lot

Remember the REALLY! old study on dogs and salivating? Same concept. Dogs speak to us, just not with a voice. If you just stop and listen to your dog, they tell you a lot. Just because they don't speak english, doesn't mean they cannot talk to you. So that, and science, tells you a lot
No I haven't seen that. TOTALLY! It's incredible what you can learn when you spend enough time with them. Have you seen the video of the lady who taught her dog how to use those buttons that have words programmed into them. So when the dog pressed the button it says the word. Over time she taught her dog what all the different buttons/words meant and now the dog can literally talk to her. Its not like a dictionary of course but she can say stuff like it wants to go outside, or it wants to go play, or it wants to play tug of war, or its hurting. She was able to catch that the dog was sick early on because the dog told her it wasn't feeling right. She fully recovered. It SOOOO cool! I tried it but my dog got the outside button and then I forgot to continue with it.

No I haven't seen that. TOTALLY! It's incredible what you can learn when you spend enough time with them. Have you seen the video of the lady who taught her dog how to use those buttons that have words programmed into them. So when the dog pressed the button it says the word. Over time she taught her dog what all the different buttons/words meant and now the dog can literally talk to her. Its not like a dictionary of course but she can say stuff like it wants to go outside, or it wants to go play, or it wants to play tug of war, or its hurting. She was able to catch that the dog was sick early on because the dog told her it wasn't feeling right. She fully recovered. It SOOOO cool! I tried it but my dog got the outside button and then I forgot to continue with it.

Bunny? yeah. She's great.

My Staffordshire is a great dog. She is very protective of her area and any child in her presence. She has a high prey drive. You have to know how to handle a dog like that. I wouldn't recommend a large dog to any new owner. A mixed breed medium size heinz 57 is a good bet .

6195F95E-98DF-4C27-8B4C-DDBB29BD0DAB.jpeg

A picture says more than I can!
Am staff lineage certified to 1932 Ireland

Back
Top Bottom