Pitbulls? Don't want to have an incorrect understanding of the breed

Pics
As someone who has worked in the vet industry for 11 years, can I just say thank you @black_cat for doing your research prior to getting a puppy. American pitbull terriers and American stats are very different then the "pit mixes" then you find in the shelters. Depending on where you live you maybe be able to find a purebred, but it isn't always the case.

Any breed and I mean ANY breed can be aggressive to humans and animals. Breeders need to breed for temperament just as much if not more then the breed for the 'looks' of the prospective puppies. Genetics, and the temperaments of the parents play a huge factor in the overall soundness of mind of a dog. But the other big factor is exposing and socializing that little puppy to literally everything and anything that might cause the dog to be fearful and react. Unfortunately by 16weeks of age puppies have some 'set' ideas on things and that can be hard to correct as they get older, though in the right hands, (someone with experience) those ideas can be changed and the desired behavior can be achieved.

My own Border collie, is a shelter dog, horrible life by the time she was 1.5, multiple homes, undersocialized with life, people, dogs etc. She was emaciated, missing hair, terrified of men the whole meal deal. But after 2 years of hard work with her, you would never know. She's great with kids, she can be standoff-ish with men but never aggressive and she is good with dogs. She's particular about the dogs she interacts with, but from working with her and reading her I know what she can and can't handle. So I always monitor closely and never put her into a situation that would cause her to react. She's almost 11 now 😏 and becoming a cranky old lady lol but people never suspect such a bad start to her life because of how she is now. She's a sweet girl to both men and women, she's just very aloof with people in general including her family lol.

I've worked with sooooo many dogs of all kinds. Any dog, of any size or breed or breed mix can bite in the right circumstances. It's NEVER ok to assume that your beloved dog would never bite anyone. Always be cautious, learn to read their body language and do your best to never put them in a situation that makes them uncomfortable. Socialize the crap out of that puppy, and do positive reward based training.

Best of luck to you!
Liz

Yes, but is it related to genetics at all, or are pitbulls strong but sweet and all trained to be bad? Becasue that's kind of what you're saying, opr at least what it sounds like
Sorry if I didn't explain well enough- Pitbulls can be both mean and sweet... But not ALWAYS mean. Some people have loved and cared for their pitties- and turned out to be sweet dogs. Some pitties have been trained to fight, or mistreated- this can cause them to be aggressive

Sorry if I didn't explain well enough- Pitbulls can be both mean and sweet... But not ALWAYS mean. Some people have loved and cared for their pitties- and turned out to be sweet dogs. Some pitties have been trained to fight, or mistreated- this can cause them to be aggressive

?????????????????????????????????

APBT's aren't trained to fight LOL its genetics. Like if you let a collie loose in a field with sheep, its gonna try and gather the sheep. And if you lead your pointer to game, its gonna point. Bruh

Yes, but is it related to genetics at all, or are pitbulls strong but sweet and all trained to be bad? Becasue that's kind of what you're saying, opr at least what it sounds like

I will try to answer....

It isn't ALL genetics but genetics play a huge roll in how the dogs (any dogs) temperament will be.
It is not ALL in the training but a dog with a nice temperament can be made aggressive by poor, inadequate or worst case deliberate training to be reactive.

A fearful dog is highly likely to feel the need to defend themselves. That applies to all breeds.

The temperament of the parent dogs affects what the temperament of the pups will be.
Humans can influence that temperament both positively and negatively.

As someone who has worked in the vet industry for 11 years, can I just say thank you @black_cat for doing your research prior to getting a puppy. American pitbull terriers and American stats are very different then the "pit mixes" then you find in the shelters. Depending on where you live you maybe be able to find a purebred, but it isn't always the case.

Any breed and I mean ANY breed can be aggressive to humans and animals. Breeders need to breed for temperament just as much if not more then the breed for the 'looks' of the prospective puppies. Genetics, and the temperaments of the parents play a huge factor in the overall soundness of mind of a dog. But the other big factor is exposing and socializing that little puppy to literally everything and anything that might cause the dog to be fearful and react. Unfortunately by 16weeks of age puppies have some 'set' ideas on things and that can be hard to correct as they get older, though in the right hands, (someone with experience) those ideas can be changed and the desired behavior can be achieved.

My own Border collie, is a shelter dog, horrible life by the time she was 1.5, multiple homes, undersocialized with life, people, dogs etc. She was emaciated, missing hair, terrified of men the whole meal deal. But after 2 years of hard work with her, you would never know. She's great with kids, she can be standoff-ish with men but never aggressive and she is good with dogs. She's particular about the dogs she interacts with, but from working with her and reading her I know what she can and can't handle. So I always monitor closely and never put her into a situation that would cause her to react. She's almost 11 now 😏 and becoming a cranky old lady lol but people never suspect such a bad start to her life because of how she is now. She's a sweet girl to both men and women, she's just very aloof with people in general including her family lol.

I've worked with sooooo many dogs of all kinds. Any dog, of any size or breed or breed mix can bite in the right circumstances. It's NEVER ok to assume that your beloved dog would never bite anyone. Always be cautious, learn to read their body language and do your best to never put them in a situation that makes them uncomfortable. Socialize the crap out of that puppy, and do positive reward based training.

Best of luck to you!
Liz
This has been my experience exactly.

I will try to answer....

It isn't ALL genetics but genetics play a huge roll in how the dogs (any dogs) temperament will be.
It is not ALL in the training but a dog with a nice temperament can be made aggressive by poor, inadequate or worst case deliberate training to be reactive.

A fearful dog is highly likely to feel the need to defend themselves. That applies to all breeds.

The temperament of the parent dogs affects what the temperament of the pups will be.
Humans can influence that temperament both positively and negatively.
Well put!

@chicknquailmaster19 just do your research on the breeds your are interested, fine reputable breeders, (if going the breeder route) talk with them, ask to meet the parents.
If going for a rescue, maybe find a local rescue vs shelter because often times rescues are smaller and use foster parents to house their dogs and so therefore have a better grip on the dogs behaviors, personality etc and can get you lined up with one that best suits your needs, wants and capability of handing them. Or just take a chance on one in a shelter (after doing meet and greets) and end up with the best dog you've ever owned who has no clear cut breed lol

Back
Top Bottom