Pitbulls? Don't want to have an incorrect understanding of the breed

Pics

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I have been DEEPLY enjoying learning about dogs and dog breeds, but I haven't been able to find anything consistent on pitbulls.
There is a lot of controversy on pitbulls, because of many stories of their aggressiveness. My understanding was that they were bred to be DOG aggressive, but not at all aggressive toward humans. This agrees with the claim that if you 'treat them right' they are loving and sweet dogs, because if human aggressiveness was bred out, the only reason for aggressiveness toward humans would be improper handling. Is this an accurate understanding? I wouldn't own one anyway (I'm not a huge fan of bully breeds, the only one I have a particular affinity for is boxers (nothing wrong with the breed, just don't like the look or temperament) but I want to make sure that I'm not misinformed and by extent can't spread misinformation.

@Overo Mare You have some knowledge on this, if I recall correctly?
Thank you!

I have been DEEPLY enjoying learning about dogs and dog breeds, but I haven't been able to find anything consistent on pitbulls.
There is a lot of controversy on pitbulls, because of many stories of their aggressiveness. My understanding was that they were bred to be DOG aggressive, but not at all aggressive toward humans. This agrees with the claim that if you 'treat them right' they are loving and sweet dogs, because if human aggressiveness was bred out, the only reason for aggressiveness toward humans would be improper handling. Is this an accurate understanding? I wouldn't own one anyway (I'm not a huge fan of bully breeds, the only one I have a particular affinity for is boxers (nothing wrong with the breed, just don't like the look or temperament) but I want to make sure that I'm not misinformed and by extent can't spread misinformation.

Thank you!
Pit bulls were originally bred for baiting. When baiting was outlawed, they turned their focus to sport (fighting). A human aggressive dog was absolutely not tolerated and therefore culled.

Human aggressiveness is not always due to handler/owner error. A lot has to do with the breeder as well. You find all these mixes and mutts being bred for a quick buck on CL. Not once does anyone care if they have a stable temperament. No testing is being done. Looks sort of like a bully so let's breed it and make money. Backyard breeders are the foundation for the sh*t hand of cards all bully breeds have been dealt. Next are the trash that buy them for a status symbol.

Buy from an actual breeder and you'll never own a better family dog. Buy from CL trash and you'll be in a heap of trouble. Pit Bulls and Am. Bullies have been so bred out from what they should be that it's saddening. At this point we're watching the breeds being slowly disassembled.

I can only speak of the dogs I have owned myself.
I have had an American Staffordshire as well as "pit mixes".
Of the ones I have had exactly zero were dog, human or small animal aggressive.
None came from "breeders" but were the result of not spaying or not keeping away from un-neutered males.
Only one is from craigslist. My current pitsky.
There are 5 dogs in my house and she is the oldest. She has shown no aggression toward anyone or anything.

Are there bad dogs? I believe there are bad dogs in every breed. I also believe it is human caused.

Thank you!
Yes, they can be aggressive if they are trained to do so, they can also be dog aggressive if they are taught to do that. With the proper training, they are amazing dogs.

I've had really mixed experiences with pits and bully breeds. I think the biggest disservice to pitbulls is the advocates on both side of the issue. You've got one side saying all pits are risky. And they have a point that any large powerful breed (a terrier at that) needs a highly responsible and experienced owner. There are breeds that make me way more nervous than pits but any powerful dog in the wrong hands can be very dangerous.
The other side of this is people who deliberately try to paint all pits at nanny dogs that are so good natured they can be left alone with their children. And it's all how you raise them. And frankly that's crap and that's such dangerous misinformation. It causes ppl to put their dogs in incredibly dangerous situations bc they have a false sense of security.
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I believe aggression has a genetic component. I also think environment and raising plays a big part on how an animal will behave.

I don't trust ANY dog 100% in all situations. Any dog has the capacity to bite and cause harm given the right circumstances.

A very dear friend of mine has always had pits. Has had many she loved and trusted unconditionally. One day her 2 year old pit that she raised from a puppy bit her child in the face in an unprovoked incident that left her child in the hospital and her very shaken. I wonder sometimes if pits are prone perhaps to some neurolical conditions? A good amount of stories of dogs that suddenly attack their owner or family members.

Anyway, it's such a tricky subject. I just err on the side of giving a lot of respect to powerful dogs and understanding that they're not the right breed for every person but I would say that about a lot of breeds.

As it were lol as I groomer I think schnauzers bite me more than anything else lol.

I've had really mixed experiences with pits and bully breeds. I think the biggest disservice to pitbulls is the advocates on both side of the issue. You've got one side saying all pits are risky. And they have a point that any large powerful breed (a terrier at that) needs a highly responsible and experienced owner. There are breeds that make me way more nervous than pits but any powerful dog in the wrong hands can be very dangerous.
The other side of this is people who deliberately try to paint all pits at nanny dogs that are so good natured they can be left alone with their children. And it's all how you raise them. And frankly that's crap and that's such dangerous misinformation. It causes ppl to put their dogs in incredibly dangerous situations bc they have a false sense of security.
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I believe aggression has a genetic component. I also think environment and raising plays a big part on how an animal will behave.

I don't trust ANY dog 100% in all situations. Any dog has the capacity to bite and cause harm given the right circumstances.

A very dear friend of mine has always had pits. Has had many she loved and trusted unconditionally. One day her 2 year old pit that she raised from a puppy bit her child in the face in an unprovoked incident that left her child in the hospital and her very shaken. I wonder sometimes if pits are prone perhaps to some neurolical conditions? A good amount of stories of dogs that suddenly attack their owner or family members.

Anyway, it's such a tricky subject. I just err on the side of giving a lot of respect to powerful dogs and understanding that they're not the right breed for every person but I would say that about a lot of breeds.

As it were lol as I groomer I think schnauzers bite me more than anything else lol.
yes, i like how you see from both points of view, I wouldn't trust any dog 100% either in every situation id have to know the dog very well and still, any dog can get frustrated and snap.

yes, i like how you see from both points of view, I wouldn't trust any dog 100% either in every situation id have to know the dog very well and still, any dog can get frustrated and snap.
And moreso even than frustration, more dogs bite out of fear rather than aggression. And a well loved and wonderfully treated dog is still quite likely to bite if they aren't well socialized to a lot of different situations. Socialization within the socialization window (meaning before 4 months old) is critical with any dog but especially one prone to biting. Lots of breeds are bred to bite. Not just pits.

A lot of times (back in the day when I worked as a dog trainer) people would assume that their dog must've been mistreated bc they were fearful. But mostly those dogs were honestly just never socialized properly and would get triggered and fearful about things they'd never been exposed to.

My experience has been mixed as well, although the one big thing Ive noticed is how dominant the dog is. For example.. My old boy: 20210408_160149.jpg
He is a lover of all people and animals. But my husband never let him snap at people, eat first, table scraps, etc. He didnt beat him into submission, just made it clear early on that my husband was boss.

But my mom rescued one and at first she was timid and friendly. Then my mom spoiled the crap out of her and let her think she was the boss. She ended up attacking one of my moms friends, one of her other small Chihuahuas (almost killed it over some food), and bit my mom in the arm. She broke the window in their truck going after a guy walking by. They refuse to give up on her, so now she lives in the garage.

Long story short, they have to understand who they answer to and that they are not boss.

Had a Pitbull/Shepard mix.. What a gentleman.. but god have mercy on any stray dog walking through his turf.. not to mention vermin.. Holy excrement! If you have small kids don't.. If you are an adult, that one's on yous. Pitbull is so named because they were raised to fight in pits to the death with other dogs for profit.. can't breed that out.. 235 pounds per square inch jaw power.. and locked jaws. I could swing that dog in a circle feet off the ground playing tug of war.. He never let go! Postscript.. Max once tried to kill his companion.. out of jealousy I'm certain.. The German Short Hair, twice his size. Showed up at the door some two or three days later, beat to 'H'.. and laid another week or five days against the wall.. Max looked guilty.. but it is what it is.. Neighbor shot him.. for trespass... and you have to establish Alpha male, or they'll eat you. When they get that crazy look in their eye.. It's punch and they roll over in submission or you are next on the list.. and believe me, they have a list.

Last edited:
I have two pit bull terriers right now, and have two others previously. All shelter dogs: one current dog was very abused as a youngster, came to the shelter with wounds, probably from a fighting dog situation.
All are very good with humans, and will kill any critter in their fenced back yard. Good with our house cats, but no others. They bark and look impressive at the door, a good thing, IMO.
They are terriers!!! Most were developed to kill vermin, and pits were developed first for bear and bull baiting, then for dog fighting. Good with people generally, and animal aggressive. And if one does bite, it is likely a serious bite!
No dog should be left alone with small children especially!!!
Dogs tend to see babies, toddlers, young children, as different issues, and teenagers more like adults. A screaming flailing baby or toddler can trigger aggression in any breed dog.
And many dog bite incidents are with boys, who can be very pushy.
Children, and so many adults, have no idea how to read dog body language, part of the problem.
I did ramble on, sorry.
Never thought I'd like any terriers, but these dogs are pretty nice. And very short haired, so good, no hair bunnies in the house at all!
All of ours have been fine with toddlers and children visiting, and we do supervise.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom