Pitbulls? Don't want to have an incorrect understanding of the breed

Pics
That is a myth actually! All dogs have the potential to lock their jaws!

Jesus what kind of F-ed up neighbor do you have??!!

Abso-rooting-tootley!

Not like the AKC is doing great anyway...

x2

Thank you for finally clarifying!

Not always, genetics play a strong role here too.
:idunno

I have two pits currently, have fostered pits, and have volunteered for a pit bull rescue/educational group for eight years now. My big take away is that they are really no different than any other large dog. Some are high energy, some are lazier than anything. Some have dog aggression, some have ZERO, and everywhere in between on the spectrum. They have been massively over bred, which leads to behavioral issues, and more dogs with behavioral issues because there's just a crap ton of them in the world🤦 One of mine has a high prey drive, the other just sits and watches the world go by. One is amazing with all people, but only likes older dogs who are gentle and respectful. One loves all dogs but if she sees the mailman or ups you'd think she was going to go through the window. I temporarily fostered a rescued fighting dog who was amazing with other dogs and all people once he was properly introduced to the world and all the good parts of it. He was adopted by a family and lived an amazing life with them. There are dogs that just can't come back from something like that, but I have known a few great examples of the fact that they can. My opinion is you have to know dogs and read their body language well, but I think you should have to do that with any animal. We have a three year old. My dogs love him. I would NEVER leave him in a room alone with not just our dogs but ANY dog until he is old enough to read their body language and respect what they are telling him ALL of the time. That's just my two cents😊

My dogs vet said due to the popularity of labs, he hears more stories of people getting bit by labradors than pitbulls.

While pitbulls might be known for something, I have never heard anyone complain about labs so, I thought it was interesting.
It's funny you mention that bc I've been searching our local shelter's website for months looking for a dog for my MIL. I noticed every single bully mix dog was listed as a lab mix. I'm assuming due to the reputation of bullies.
No doubt labs are popular and I've met quite a few lab mixes with bad attitudes.

But Most well bred labs really will go out of there way and give you every opportunity before they bite.

I think people have a tendency to call every black dog with floppy ears a lab mix and every dog with a boxy head a pit mix. Unless they're doing dna tests I just wouldn't assume a dog is the breed it's listed in a shelter or rescue.

Back
Top Bottom