Pithing for dry plucking?

Rod W

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Phelps, Wisconsin
I recieved an email from a gent in New York who raises/sells chickens, and he asked if an electric plucker would dry pluck chickens (he sells some as Kosher, which cannot be scalded) My question to the folks in the forums, if dispatching via the pithing method, has anyone ever used an electric plucker successfully? Or any thoughts? I will definitely give him the address to Backyard Chickens! Thank You, ROD

I was trying to find out more about how to pith so I was reading a little bit about Kosher methods of slaughtering chickens. From what I've read, everything has to be 'just so' or it won't be kosher. For instance, the knife that they use to slice the jugular vein can't have any nicks in it--won't be kosher. Is it possible that using an electric plucker would prevent that chicken from being kosher, as well?

Don't bother with an electric plucker if you're not going scald. The key to the electric plucker's performance is with the scalding. I think hand plucking dry is your best best unless the kosher suggestions allow for skinning.

Dan

I agree with Dan. I do pithing, and while it IS noticeably easier to dry pluck, I still don't think it'd work too well in a plucker.

Back
Top Bottom