Placeing eggs on a towel?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by P'cola, Nov 9, 2008.

1. P'cola

P'cola Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    Pensacola, Florida
    Was wondering if it would be ok to place my eggs on a cloth inside the Bater to keep them from rolling when I try to turn them? Thanks for any help...

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I've been using cheescloth... that way it still allows the air to circulate well etc... but next spring I might try the rubber shelf lining stuff... the stuff with the holes in it that is non-slip.

3. P'cola

P'cola Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    Pensacola, Florida
    Thanks guitarists for the response...i will pick up some cheese cloth tomorrow when i go to work.. Guess the eggs can survive one more day until I get home...or even better i could pick up that non slip shelf liner..

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    The non-slip rubbery shelf mesh worked great for me, and it's washable, you can even bleach it to disinfect.

It gives baby chicks good traction when they hatch, too, helps prevent leg injuries. I had one hatch splay-legged, kept her on that rubbery mesh, her legs straightened out in about 2 days, and they're fine now, she's all grown up and healthy.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I also use the non slid stuff, works GREAT !!! Also can be washed and re used if you want to.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    A thin piece of fleece will probably work as well - you want something that won't hold water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by