Placement of Coop

Sylvialarry

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Northern Calif
Hi my name is Sylvia. I'm very new to this. This is my first time raising chickens and I am looking forward to it.
Currently my husband is building me a chicken coop. We have three hens that will be living with us as soon as the coop is built. My question is the location of the coop. We would like to put the coop at the very end of our property, however there is a high voltage line that runs along the back side of our property. Is it possible for the high voltage to damage the hens or the eggs? I want them to be healthy and safe. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Is it somewhere you feel safe to go? You will want to visit your girls and check on them on a daily, bi daily basis?
hmm.png

I don't think it is an issue then, but if in doubt, don't
big_smile.png

Edited to add:
welcome-byc.gif
you will learn heaps on the site!!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

As you probably know, a lot of research has been done to determine if there are health risks associated with high voltage. As far as I can tell none of it has shown strong evidence of any real danger. There may be some long term effects, but it has been really hard to determine for or against HUMANS living in near vicinity of power lines. Personally I would have a problem letting my child sleep near high power lines, but only because I like to be on the safe side. I wouldn't have ANY concerns putting chickens in the same position (of course provided that you feel safe going there yourself as the previous poster mentioned).

Why would I treat my chickens different from my kids? Well, anything else would be unreasonable, IMO. However, there is also a very important difference in the life expectancy of chickens and humans. Long term problems like cancer are just less likely to be a problem for the chickens, they are likely to be dead of natural causes before any effect is seen.

There is no reason at all to worry about the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom