Placement of nest box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Patoot, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    I have a decent size coop I have almost ready for the chickens. It's 5 1/2 ft squared. The tricky part is the placement of the nesting box in relation to the food/water. I want to put all three on one side of the coop because I'm making a long door/hatch type thing so I will be able to just open it up and reach in to the nest box and refill water and food. There is enough room for it, but I don't know if the nest box area should be less crowded. I can make changes if I need to, but this is by far the easiest way for me to feed and collect eggs. Do they produce more eggs if the box is off in a less busy corner? Not that they have a lot of room to choose. They will be free range most of the time I hope, but I want to set it up right.

If you can picture 5 1/2 feet horizontally...a hanging feeder and hanging waterer will be on the left but next to each other, then the nesting box(es). I am making the nesting boxes from a rubbermaid bin and I will divide it in half to make two boxes. I can put the box to face the food or away from it, but either way it will be right next to it. I can get a smaller rubbermaid bin and only make one nest box. I will have 4 RIR.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Bree

2. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    Hang the nest boxes outside after opening one of the walls to fit. There's lots of pics on links at the top of the page. Check out coop designs, and learning center, there's lots to look at.

3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
  4. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    I'm planning on putting my nest box on the side as well, it'll probably be undivided (communal) and about 3' wide.
    It'll add a bit more cost and weight to my tractor, but I think the extra space in the coop will be well worth it and the girls won't be able to perch on it...
    My coop design is around 3-1\\2' D x 6' W and 4' tall (I'm planning for just 4 or 5 hens max.)

Edit:

I'm going to use a nest box similar to Gallo del Cielo's:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=56638

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by