Placing chicks under broody hen

bigz1983

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
Michigan
Hey everyone I have a 3 year old broody barred rock hen.
She went broody at 1 year old, hatched out chicks and was a good mom.
She took a 2 year break after that and is now broody again.
I separated her from the main flock by putting her in a homemade broody coop I built.
She has been sitting on 5 eggs since Tuesday and is devoted.
Problem is I don't want her to hatch those eggs.
The eggs are barnyard mix and a breeder near me has purebred black/blue Ameraucanas chicks for $4 each.
I have never placed chicks under a broody hen.
Do I just wait until night lift her up, take the eggs out, put the chicks in her spot and place her over them?
Do I need to put each chick under her 1 at a time?
Do I need to wait like a certain amount of days?

I think it would be best if you waited at least 2-3 weeks until you attempt to put the chicks under her. If done too early, the mother will likely reject the chicks.

I would get the chicks a day before you attempt to put them under her. The older the chicks, the less likely they'll imprint on their soon to be a mother. Once you get the chicks, don't handle them much. When it gets pitch dark at night, gather the chicks in a small container and take them to their new mother. Make as little noise as possible. No light. If you need light make sure it's extremely dim, just enough so you can see. Don't move her. Reach under her and get the eggs, be careful since she might peck your hand. Once all the eggs are out, put the chick under her one by one. You need to be very careful, as the mother might accidentally peck the chick. I like to use both hands since you can carry the chick with one and deflect the pecks with the other. Once all the chicks are under her. Sneak out of the coop and cross your fingers until morning. Hopefully, she'll accept them.

I would have a backup plan just in case the mother doesn't accept the chick. Be ready to raise these chicks in case things don't go as plan. Once the mother rejects them, the chicks are on their own.

Wish you the best of luck!

I think it would be best if you waited at least 2-3 weeks until you attempt to put the chicks under her. If done too early, the mother will likely reject the chicks.

I would get the chicks a day before you attempt to put them under her. The older the chicks, the less likely they'll imprint on their soon to be a mother. Once you get the chicks, don't handle them much. When it gets pitch dark at night, gather the chicks in a small container and take them to their new mother. Make as little noise as possible. No light. If you need light make sure it's extremely dim, just enough so you can see. Don't move her. Reach under her and get the eggs, be careful since she might peck your hand. Once all the eggs are out, put the chick under her one by one. You need to be very careful, as the mother might accidentally peck the chick. I like to use both hands since you can carry the chick with one and deflect the pecks with the other. Once all the chicks are under her. Sneak out of the coop and cross your fingers until morning. Hopefully, she'll accept them.

I would have a backup plan just in case the mother doesn't accept the chick. Be ready to raise these chicks in case things don't go as plan. Once the mother rejects them, the chicks are on their own.

Wish you the best of luck!
Thanks for the info

Does the breeder have fertile eggs? Maybe just switch out the eggs. Let her hatch her own babies, but not her eggs.
Yes she does but we bought some Amerucana chicks from her a couple months ago and 1 ended being the wrong breed it was a french crested creveacour.
So she is offering a free Amerucana chick and I plan on buying a few more to add with the free chick.

Back
Top Bottom