Placing Feeder & Waterer

CatsCrazyCoop

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Putnam Valley, NY
Ok... umm, so I am a moron!

Does the feeder & waterer go in the coop, or the run?

The waterer will be a 5 gallon bucket with the nipples, and the feeder will be just a 30lb hanging galvanized bucket feeder with pan.

Thanks!

I like to keep the feed in the coop so that it doesn't get wet and less will get eaten by the wild birds. I keep the water outside except when there is snow on the ground.

I have seen both. Mostly in the larger ones that have food and water, the smaller ones just water...and some have neither. But depending where you live I think water is always nice to have. Just gotta mess with what works for you. Just my 2cents.

Thats not a stupid question because people can put them in either place. I put the feeder inside to keep it dry and to prevent rodents from eating out of it. As long as your chickens like spending time outside the water could go out there. It sounds like it could take up a lot of room in the run.

I have a smaller 4'x4' roosting coop with an attached run with a roof. I live outside Chicago, I keep the water and the feed out in the run. When they go into the coop at night to sleep, I close the pop door and and lock it and they don't get anything until I let them out in the morning. In the winter I anticipate keeping a source of water in the coop, but the feed I plan on leaving outside. that way they will venture out of the roosting coop.

Back
Top Bottom