Placing two different flocks together?

AllOfTheChickens

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2018
We have a flock of nine chickens (one being a roster) in our coop. We have another flock of five chickens that are about a month younger then the other ones. They were walking around the yard as separate groups and last night was their first night in the same coop. They are very separated. Will they warm up to eachother and combine or will the stay as two separate groups?

They will get used to each other, and there may end up being a fight. If you see a fight breaking out, lock the older chickens somewhere they have never been before, and put the younger ones with them. I've found that when the older chickens are getting used to a new environment, they don't think about dominance as much.

Usually theyll start to inter mingle sometimes they stay as separate flocks that tolerates each other I've had mine integrated for over a month and they get along but still stay mainly with their own flock

Here's my experience

How old are the two groups? Has either started laying yet? It is extremely common for immature chickens to avoid more mature chickens until they mature enough to force their way into the pecking order. For my pullets that is generally around the time they start to lay. Don't expect them to intermingle much if at all (usually not at all) during the day. Do not expect the younger to share a roost with the older.

Eventually they will mingle a lot more and share roosts, but even then it's normal for chickens raised together to maintain that sisterhood and hang out together.

Back
Top Bottom