Plan for Floating house for ducks to put on the pond

antiquebuff

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Franklin, NC
My sister just bought 8 ducks and wants to put a floating house in the middle of the pond so they will be protected at night. Does anyone have a plan for this or know how to do it? Many Thanks! We have lots of predators around............

if you can watch backyard habitat on animal planet,one of the episodes showed how to do that

Last edited:
I don't have plans but have seen a couple of floating islands. They used those large plastic barrels that people keep water in. They are like 3 ft. long and 2 ft. wide and often blue in color.

They attached boards to the barrels making a platform and a little house if so desired. They anchored the 'island' to the bottom of the pond either with something really heavy (one of them used several large solid cinder blocks attached to two heavy chains.)

Maybe this will give you some ideas. Good luck.

I've thought of doing this same thing but our pond goes dry every couple of years.

she's talking about something like this,

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2007/12/floating_duck_house.html

wish I had one.
hmm.png

Thanks for all the good ideas! Lacyloo, that is the exact one we are looking for. I saw this at someones house years ago and I could not get anyone to understand what I was talking about. If we get it built we well be sure to post pictures.
The barrel idea is also a great one to try!
Too many ducks and chicks and not enough time............
wee.gif

I have heard that duck poo is a natural pond sealer. It supposedly helps put a liner on the bottom of the pond so the water don't soak into the ground. Now evaporating due to drought is another thing.
Has anybody else heard if duck poo is a pond sealer?

Jayare

I like the idea of a floating duck bed. I am going to start looking for an igloo at yard sales . We just got our first 4 ducks last week they are now 41/2 weeks old. Thanks for the inframoation and I am sure hubby will Thank you for adding to his "Honey Do List" !!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom