Plank grilling?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Roosterboy, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Has anyone here used plank grilling? What type of food is good? What are some good recipes? Where can i get the plank, what type should i get, how much do they cost, and how many will i need?

I know these are a lot of questions but i would appreciate some answers

Thanks [​IMG]

2. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I used it for grilling salmon . Smoked salmon flavor. I 'm not sure what plank it was I have bought it in a world market store.
    Goodluck [​IMG]

3. Possumpoint

Possumpoint Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yeah, someone that DH works with gave him one of the planks but I haven't used it yet. Guess I need to google it to see what I can find out. I forgot I had it until I saw this post.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Don't forget to soak the plank. Ruined a couple salmon filets once and had to go out to dinner with our guests. [​IMG]

5. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Well I saw it done once, it dates way back to early times. Planked salmon was the thing. It was a wooden roofing shingle. it was soaked in wine for some time then it had the salmon laid flat on it and string wraped around it to hold it on the plank. Then wine was poured over the salmon for quite some time and then cooked by an open fire. Thats how I saw it done. Hope it helps.

6. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen it with fish- trout and salmon. Don't bother getting an expensive plank, go to Lowe's and get a piece of untreated hardwood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by