Planning a Coop

Scaredstiff

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
Norfolk County, MA
I'm in the process of actually designing my own coop. There's so many great tips and tricks to keeping a clean coop here, I couldn't just get some prefab thing. So far it's looking to be about 5ft deep by 6ft wide, and on either side is a row of raised nest boxes. on top of each row is a poo tray and roost. Can't decide if i'm gunna go with lenolium or tile yet. Probably tile because it's easy to find free on craig's list as remodel left overs.

Couple questions for the long timers: How high can a full size be expected to hop to get to a roost or into a nest box? Also, any plants that chickens will eat if given half a chance that are very very not good for them?

From what I have read you would not want to do tile, the grout will absorb the poo and very hard to clean. Others have said not to use Linoleum tiles either for the same reason the poo gets underneath. I am going to find a cheap whole piece of linoleum. We are just starting our coop, do some research on flooring.

I would agree about the tile issue. We are just building our coop and bypassed tile (even though we have some here) because of the cracks/grout absorption issue. Building centers, contractors, etc, should have remnants you could get cheap.

I, too, am curious about the roost question

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom