Planning an upgrade

BEggRN

Songster
Apr 10, 2020
(North Atlanta) Georgia
Hi everyone! I joined the world of backyard chickens last March, and have learned so much. We are planning to build a new, secure coop and run over the next couple of months before I begin to introduce some new babies to grow my little flock. Since we're starting from scratch, I am hoping to use the knowledge that I have gained and would love for you to share your "must-haves" for the coop of your dreams. We don't have a limitless budget, but I am taking full advantage of my husband's desire to fulfill all my crazy chicken lady desires. So, outside of it being safe, secure, and predator-proof, if you were building your dream coop, what feature would you most want to include? (just thought you'd want to see my inspiration, so here's a picture of my lovely girls)
Blossom and Bubbles.jpg

Thanks!
Beth

I'd love it if my coop was easier to clean... in fact, I'm upgrading to a better, bigger coop this spring. My wish list is plenty of space, great ventilation (I underestimated the ammonia + poop producing power of chickens my first time around), lots of roosting space, large chicken run, and a big enough coop that I have room to hatch more birds; also plenty of light.

I'd love it if my coop was easier to clean... in fact, I'm upgrading to a better, bigger coop this spring. My wish list is plenty of space, great ventilation (I underestimated the ammonia + poop producing power of chickens my first time around), lots of roosting space, large chicken run, and a big enough coop that I have room to hatch more birds; also plenty of light.
I've asked for a poop board and a clean out drawer. Also access so I can walk in to clean. I'm not brave enough to try to hatch my own chicks yet, but I asked for a small coop separate from the main coop to raise my babies before merging then into the flock.

I'm planning an open air style coop (which suits my steamy, southeastern US climate), and I want it big enough to subdivide so that I can have birds of different ages, meat birds, and/or an attached broody facility.

Probably dirt floor for Deep Litter and a design that is partially roofed and partially wire.

I want to incorporate several openings to rotate pasture.

It's not going to all appear at once, of course.

For the first stage, I'm praying to get a 1-car, metal carport to begin with. Wrapped in hardware cloth with partial walls on one end it should make a splendid, termite and carpenter ant proof coop.

I'm planning an open air style coop (which suits my steamy, southeastern US climate), and I want it big enough to subdivide so that I can have birds of different ages, meat birds, and/or an attached broody facility.

Probably dirt floor for Deep Litter and a design that is partially roofed and partially wire.

I want to incorporate several openings to rotate pasture.

It's not going to all appear at once, of course.

For the first stage, I'm praying to get a 1-car, metal carport to begin with. Wrapped in hardware cloth with partial walls on one end it should make a splendid, termite and carpenter ant proof coop.
I'm in the southeast US as well. I am beginning to learn that no matter how much I hate the cold, out summers are a much bigger issue for my girls than our winters; that is once I figured out how to keep their water from freezing. I'm excited to have a large barn door from the coop to the run to allow extra cooling and ventilation in the summer.

I haven't gotten to the point of getting a deicer and making a waterer to suit it, so I just bring the water in overnight if it's going to be below freezing.
We've had some stretches of colder than we're used to nights, so I decided to make a bucket waterer with horizontal nipples and a deicer. We vented a square bucket, put a nipple on each side, and it's working great!

Back
Top Bottom