planning stage, wanna contribute an idea?

clucknpecker

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
Guess my dogs will be getting neighbors..
They have fenced in 30ft x 50ft in back yard. 5ft chainlink sides, back wall is 30 ft of 6ft hi wood fence.
Heres my first idea. Please toss some input into it, ya?
Across the 30ft long back wood fence ill put a 3/4" plywood box, 4ft x 4ft x 4ft x 4ft x 16ft long, about half length of wood fence.. Like a boxcar... 2ft off gnd. Whole front hinged along top edge, opens up 4ft x 16ft for cleaning, gathering eggs etc, i guess.

Thinking 8 or so plastic cat litter cans about 12in x 14in, 18in tall, on side, side by side for nesting. Probably along 8ft of back wall. The other 8 feet with sorta closet poles for roosting? Thatll use up the 16ft width.

So, wondering 1st, if a 16ft long box with 4ft square sides would be ok for the coop part as described. Or, what would You do differently?

Next, the ground they walk on.... its grass right now.
Would i need a fenced in area 30 ft across x 16 ft out from wood fence, or could i let the dogs keep a bit more of their yard and settle for 8ft x 30ft ground space? I'm thinking 2x4frame, covered by 1/2" hardware cloth, even roof of pen.
Im also planning a 4ft hi x 30ft wood fence to help isolate dogs and chickens...

Oh ya, forgot this part, yuk! I just ordered 20 chicks on line. So if all survive, good size flock, ya?
But will they be happy with what my 1st plan is?

Sure could use yalls help and ideas.
Oh ya, nother thing, acreage area of west palm beach, fl. 1.25 acres yard, neighbors have horses, chickens, etc.

Last edited:
I personally would build a walk in type coop. I would use a garden shed 8 x 10, and convert to coop. Much more practical than you IDEA. Since your neighbors have chickens,,,, why don't you make something similar to their setup???
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Thanks for your thots. Neighbor free ranges hers. Well trained dogs, too. My guys are killers, never trust with tasty chicks.
Part of my issue is cost. I can do all matls as noted for abt 1500.00 that gives them pretty ok covered yard to play in. Hoping 8x30 is big enough.

Guess my dogs will be getting neighbors..
They have fenced in 30ft x 50ft in back yard. 5ft chainlink sides, back wall is 30 ft of 6ft hi wood fence.
Heres my first idea. Please toss some input into it, ya?
Across the 30ft long back wood fence ill put a 3/4" plywood box, 4ft x 4ft x 4ft x 4ft x 16ft long, about half length of wood fence.. Like a boxcar... 2ft off gnd. Whole front hinged along top edge, opens up 4ft x 16ft for cleaning, gathering eggs etc, i guess.

Thinking 8 or so plastic cat litter cans about 12in x 14in, 18in tall, on side, side by side for nesting. Probably along 8ft of back wall. The other 8 feet with sorta closet poles for roosting? Thatll use up the 16ft width.

So, wondering 1st, if a 16ft long box with 4ft square sides would be ok for the coop part as described. Or, what would You do differently?

Next, the ground they walk on.... its grass right now.
Would i need a fenced in area 30 ft across x 16 ft out from wood fence, or could i let the dogs keep a bit more of their yard and settle for 8ft x 30ft ground space? I'm thinking 2x4frame, covered by 1/2" hardware cloth, even roof of pen.
Im also planning a 4ft hi x 30ft wood fence to help isolate dogs and chickens...

Oh ya, forgot this part, yuk! I just ordered 20 chicks on line. So if all survive, good size flock, ya?
But will they be happy with what my 1st plan is?

Sure could use yalls help and ideas.
Oh ya, nother thing, acreage area of west palm beach, fl. 1.25 acres yard, neighbors have horses, chickens, etc.
Logistically, most "backyard" flocks will max out at 20-35 chickens and the average flock size I see is probably 6-10

Back
Top Bottom