Planting a chicken run

ktg 100

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 3, 2013
I have a small enough run with six hens in it, In bad weather it is rather exposed to rain, not so much
wind. I was wondering if any bushes etc would grow in the run and give it some shelter and some
features in the run. If so what type would be recommended.
Thanks.
smile.png

Anything that will thrive in your climate...but.....you might have to put chicken wire around it until it grows big enough for the chickens not to scratch it up.....even when large they may scratch around the bottom enough to kill it.

Shelter from rain might be better achieved by a solid roof, especially in a small run, and will add protection from airborne predators.

Would there be any soil mixture or fertilizer I could use to help
it grow or a sure it's survival.

It would be much easier to plant right outside the run, up against the run edge.

This way the chickens can eat whatever plant parts grow into the run, but will not be able to kill the plant.

So, as long as what you plant isn't poisonous, plant whatever you like.

That's a great idea but the problem with planting outside the run for me is that
the chicken run is in the corner of a paddock occupied by sheep or cattle most of the
time and they'll eat and trample anything unless it's a tree.

Without knowing where you live it would be difficult to make suggestions. Also, is your run open on top, or covered? That might influence options too. I agree with what others have noted, use locally adapted plants; your local County Cooperative Extension office can help with that. Having said that, here is a nice little list of plants that other BYC members have successfully grown in their chicken runs. I have grapes growing up through and over my chicken run.

Thanks
thumbsup.gif

Oh and it's not too warm where I live
It's about 2-6C in the winter and 19-25C in the summer
so tropical plants are not an option.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom