planting for chickens

genabeana

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 19, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
Hi! I noticed that the chickens love to scurry into shrubbery and scratch, sleep, and hang out in the bushes/low hanging tree's, etc. Does anyone have any preference or knowledge of good shrubbery or plants to cultivate for a chicken habitat? I have a yard for them about the size of a 4 car garage and have 5 chickens. Should I plant edibles like corn? Any particular plants a favorite?

Thanks, as always!

gig.gif
gessh mie eat everything! Drives me nuts and had to make them NON free range chickens.

I know there is a list of poisonous plants on here. Try searching it~

One word... THORNY CACTUSES! O.K. that's two words, but you get the point. My wife curses the chickens in one breath, because of their destructive tendencies and then talks about how funny they are in the next.

Forget plantings- anything you want them to eat they won't, and anything you don't want them to eat they will. One thing my birds love is the mulch. They love to scratch in it, dust bathe in it, roll in it. Skip plantings and just give them a nice thick bed of mulch to play in, and they will be happy.
smile.png

I came across a couple flats of wheat grass, and boy did the chickens that don't get to roam (cat snack sized sebrights) LOVE that! The flats lasted at least a week each, just water it occasionally. The little coop (about 12'X12') has a dirt floor, so the grass seemed pretty happy - until it got munched!

I have a big ole' grape vine with untasty grapes with seeds, that grows amok near my coop. The girls LOVE to eat the leaves, and wait until they find the grapes under them! If you can protect it until it gets established, that might work! However, I only have 3 girls that free range in the late afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom