Planting seeds for forage

bbdal

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 31, 2013
Alabama
Hi! Our chicks are now 3 weeks old and we were going to plant something in their run (we know it won't last long in there) and also in the garden to get it going before they are ready to forage. Any suggestions? Also, I know I have read somewhere that there is at least one forage plant that you don't want to let it go to seed because it will be toxic for them. So, suggestions on what NOT to plant would be helpful also. How long should we let the seeds grow before turning the chickens out on them? We also want to plant something for the pigs, so if anyone has suggestions for them too, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks!

clover is something they will eat and it is tough, if you can keep them off for a month or so it may last awhile. not sure about pigs. there are a ## of plants and seeds that are poison for chickens. morning glory seeds, Angels trumpet, all parts poison, I am sure you can do a search for poison plants There is a large list

clover is something they will eat and it is tough, if you can keep them off for a month or so it may last awhile. not sure about pigs. there are a ## of plants and seeds that are poison for chickens. morning glory seeds, Angels trumpet, all parts poison, I am sure you can do a search for poison plants There is a large list
I second the clover as well - it's sweet and my chickens repeatedly come back to forage on it.... they've left many patches of grass to the point where I need to run a mower thru it just to even things out a bit. It's an annual and will reseed itself.

Thanks, Aspen. I joined on there.
thumbsup.gif

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom