Plants for chicken run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Buddy M, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Buddy M

Buddy M New Egg

Jun 27, 2016
    Our coop run is mostly in the shade. One end gets minimal morning sun. We have no plants in the run at this point. We would like to add plants in there and so would appreciate any suggestions for plants that meet the following criteria:
    -are safe, non-toxic to chickens
    -attract bugs
    -grow well in the shade
    - preferrably ones that the chickens won't eat...although that might be difficult to find!

Thank you, in advance, for any help that anyone can give to us.

2. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Depending you how big your run is, you are facing an uphill climb. Not many plants are going to work INSIDE the run. Outside, maybe. Outside and letting portions of the plants fall inside........maybe.

Is the goal green stuff to eat? Something to keep them out of the mud?

You may want to consider sprouts and other supplemental greens. As for the floor of the run, deep litter there. They can dig and scratch and find some bugs while not standing knee deep in the mud and can snip at whatever pokes it's way into the run from the outside?

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I have lilac trees, and have pots with petunias, Ornimental grass, Bachelor buttons, Sun flowers, Tomato plants...My birds do not destroy these...Check out the Chicken chick site...Great info.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    @chickens really How do you keep the chickens away from the plants...will you post some pics?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  5. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    The ornamental grass thing may be an option, depending on how big the run. Mostly a full sun option, however. My daughter has about 5 or 6 clumps of these tall grasses along a fence line and her birds would lounge under those for hours. That is a jungle type plant and they are jungle bird descendants. Home sweet home?

I've given mine access to a remnant patch of sweetcorn and sunflowers thinking they would go crazy in there. Once upon a time, that was considered primo pasture grazing for them. Mine never use it at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by