Plants for Shade

Pics
me neither. I didn't want to but I had to cut some fruits off my pumpkins that were growing on my fence so they didn't rip the fence down. The ducks liked the big leaves for protection so I just left the leaves

I have thinned pumpkins off a vine and I once had a helping child mistakening harvest the immature pumpkins instead of the zucchini. They worked to make stir-fry.

I really, really did read a bunch of other posts for answers before posting this, but nothing seems to quite fit my situation.

I am building a near-chicken utopia on my property. They'll have about 1000 sq ft of chicken pasture in an area we cleared in our woods. But because it's been cleared, there are no shade trees for them, and it gets very hot here in the summer. The pasture will be covered with heavy-duty bird netting (because hawks).

I need to add shade, so I'm planning on adding shrubs and shade cloth in some areas, but I'd like small trees that can create a canopy if sorts as well as visual interest. But since the area will be covered, I need something that will stay relatively short - like 4-5 feet tall.

I thought about butterfly bush, but the ones I have now are about 8 ft tall and need constant cutting back. I'd prefer something a little lower maintenance, if at all possible. I'm leaning Mexican sage, but those can get tall, too. And something broad-leafed would be ideal. There's gotta be something out there. I'm just drawing blanks right now...

Any ideas? We're in hardiness zone 9a.

TIA
Maybe you could plant a few large trees next to your chicken run, let them grow over and above.

Maybe you could plant a few large trees next to your chicken run, let them grow over and above.
I have those, fortunately. I live smack dab in the middle of the woods. There is a clearing where I am building the chicken yard so I can cover it with bird netting to stave off hawk attacks. We have mostly pine and cedar, with a smattering of oak. I have thought about getting additional trees to add to the perimeter, but they'll take s long time to grow, fire danger is a very VERY real thing here, and the fence will be hot and vegetation can cause shorts. But I will do more research into this idea. It's doable if I can get the spacing right.

Could you not fix a shade Tarp across one corner on the bird netting?
I have that, but I find the shade it provides isn't quite deep enough for these gawd awful summer temps. It was 106 this weekend! Poor biddies. Luckily, their coop has AC. But I don't like them all huddling indoors.

The goats don't have AC. I monitored their temps closely this weekend. The temp in the shade of their woods was in the 90s - much more comfortable than in the current chicken yard. I'd give the chickens the same cover, but it would make the bird netting difficult to install over the new yard. If it was 1 or 2 trees, we'd be in business. But we're talking 50+ trees in the goat pastures. I am not feeling navigating that part of the property with bird netting. I could do it, but it'd be difficult, and the netting would get clogged up with pine cones and needles.

Not to mention that we have lots of sweet pines here. The cones are giant - like a foot tall. They fall like grenades! The clearing will keep the netting and the chicken away from the sweet pines.

I will probably stick with shrubs, but I am liking the idea of a pergola.

Planning this project is fun! I CAN'T WAIT to get started! Should be soon... Just gotta finish the big perimeter fence first!

I have thought about getting additional trees to add to the perimeter, but they'll take s long time to grow, fire danger is a very VERY real thing here, and the fence will be hot and vegetation can cause shorts.
I am really hoping things won't be as bad as last year. Being surrounded by fires and constantly dealing with smoke sucks. But chances are things will be worse this year with the drought. I hope you and your animals stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom