Plants in run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hottchick, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    My chickens love the very few weeds I have growing in their run. Mostly, it's under trees and there is not much other than dirt. What plants do chickens like to eat? Is there something that they like that's hardy and cheap to plant for them?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Anything, really, can be good. I really don't understand the whole "dirt and gravel" thing with runs. Our hens all go free range on a pasture, but even our "bachelor pad" is an oversized run filled with grass, shrubs, trees, etc. Course, not everyone can provide that though. [​IMG]

The hardiest and best for them is simply grass, and next to that would be local/native weeds. Particularly dandelion, as that is a common one found throughout the US.

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you plant while they are using the run, they will eat the seeds. Many people alternate two runs, one to grow, one to use. If you lay chicken wire over young plants, they will eat what is sticking up, and hopefully the roots and plant will survive to sprout again. I have had them pull young plants up, roots and all, and eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by