Plants that chickens will allow to exist

stavo

Songster
May 15, 2018
El Dorado County in Northern California
So we all know that our winged friends will decimate pretty much anything with green leaves that they can get to. I've had success growing hydrangeas, but only if I protect them with screening until they get to a decent size. If you look closely at the pic, my hens peck a little at the leaves but for the most part leave it be.

What other plants, particularly flowering shrubs, have you had success with in your uncovered runs?
IMG_20200531_132157066.jpg

I know mint isn't the prettiest (although I like it) but it grows so fast. My chickens like eating it too. I'm thinking of planting some in there. It's so easy to grow.
The hydrangeas look great.
Our chickens eat hollyhocks. Not sure if they are poisonous to chickens, but they love them. Trying to keep them away is so hard.

So we all know that our winged friends will decimate pretty much anything with green leaves that they can get to. I've had success growing hydrangeas, but only if I protect them with screening until they get to a decent size. If you look closely at the pic, my hens peck a little at the leaves but for the most part leave it be.

What other plants, particularly flowering shrubs, have you had success with in your uncovered runs?View attachment 2170536
I am SHOCKED! Nothing ever grew in my chicken's run!:bow That is fantastic!

Anyone have any luck with lavender? I'd like to try planting some around the perimeter of the run. Not sure if it would last though.

Anyone have any luck with lavender? I'd like to try planting some around the perimeter of the run. Not sure if it would last though.
Anything small I plant I surround with a fence! Not just for chickens, there are deer, javalina (wild pigs) and free ranging neighbor's dogs. Dog pee is almost worse than chickens for killing plants!

I am SHOCKED! Nothing ever grew in my chicken's run!:bow That is fantastic!
The largest hydrangea was there already prior to the run, so that's how I knew it could survive. I've since planted some small ones. When unprotected, they were either munched on or trampled out of existence. But the ones I gave a head start to with screening grew to a decent size. I've since removed the screening and they're left alone.

I was thinking of trying lavender or rosemary. Not my favorite plants, but if the chickens leave them alone, it'll add some color and also provide more shade for the summer heat.

The largest hydrangea was there already prior to the run, so that's how I knew it could survive. I've since planted some small ones. When unprotected, they were either munched on or trampled out of existence. But the ones I gave a head start to with screening grew to a decent size. I've since removed the screening and they're left alone.
Fencing around the new plants is a given around here! I like hydrangea and am excited to see them survive your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom